Thursday, January 15, 2009

Savant? Hardly.

My husband is an educated man who has served the Lord mightily for decades. He began pastoring at the age of 18, serving a small church on the weekends while he got his undergrad degree.
His Bible knowledge astounds me, and I am drawn to his relationship with Jesus.
In his case, due to these lifelong pursuits, his pop culture knowledge is non-existent, particularly when it comes to pop music.



When we were dating, we were flipping channels one night, and one of those Time-Life infomercials came on plugging a collection of 70's music. Okay, Brad's 20's coincided with the 1970's, but he knew only about two of the nine dozen songs that scrolled on the screen. I, on the other hand was a teen in the 70's, and I knew the words to every song they snippeted: Hall & Oates, David Bowie, America, Heart, Dan Hill and even, sorry to say, Gino Vanelli (I didn't like him, but his song was one of those that sticks where it's not welcome.)
By the end of the commercial, he was just shaking his head at me, and he said, "Do you want me to order this for you?" No need, it was just a walk down memory lane.


While he was raising his family, pursuing more degrees, and pastoring churches, apparently I was listening to the radio too much and going to concerts.


Last summer, we were standing in Dick's Sporting Goods, and "Brian Wilson" by BNL came on. Okay, they are my favorite band, so I sang along. Every word. He just looked at me like I was from another planet, and he will have to admit, to this day he still giggles at the band's name:
Barenaked Ladies.
This fall, we were watching a movie and someone mentioned Led Zeppelin. He said, "Who is that?" Again, the man graduated high school in 1970! I lay in the crook of his arm and sang, "There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold, and she's buying a stairway to heaven...when she gets there she knows if the stores are all closed, with a word she will get what she came for..." Admittedly, I don't know if those lyrics are accurate, and my singing is awful, but nevertheless he remembered the tune!
Most recently, at our small group Christmas party, I sang "Bohemian Rhapsody" with Peter. He's in seventh grade. Brad was proud of me in a silly way. To him, I wrote the World Book chapter on rock knowledge.

Hey, it's easy to look learned next to someone who thinks Amy Grant is what is hip.
Still, and especially, I love my hubby!

6 comments:

The Carroll Family said...

You & Brad are THE CUTEST!!

Mama said...

It is amazing to me that he didn't hear the music peripherally - like in stores, even grocery stores, or in someone's car. I guess he did hear it but was focused on his other pursuits. He did recognize two songs. Truly the music from the 60s & 70s has some pretty phenomenal offerings, if you ask me, and I'm only two years younger than he. How sweet that you compliment each other with some pretty fine strengths - fun! I'm impressed that you know the words because I think I've forgotten most of them. I love hearing music from that time though.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to Brad in this! Only attended small Christian school and yes, Amy Grant was the most famous singer we were allowed to listen to. So, I end up turning to Mike for those ?'s! :) Cute story and glad you sing when you want to!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Oh Tina B!

We have to get you a Time-Life CD set from the 80's. You are younger than me, so I had to pick the appropriate decade!

Mama said...

I love your Prince selection, speaking of music, on your play list : ) I was crazy about his Purple Rain album when it came out. And yes, it was an album, as I recall. I didn't know many people that shared my passion for his music, so I was thrilled to see it on your list!

I'll frequently play your music on my computer while I'm doing other tasks around the house : )

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Awwwww Mara, thanks! It's fun putting the list together, and I do love Prince. I even went to his club in MSP in the 80's! Saw him in concert too. Too fun!