Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mom's Dress



Things I like continues, and February is almost over...I am not wishing my life away, and so part of me is stunned that it's already the 26th. Whoa, slow down life!
Anyway, some of you were too sweet to mention liking my wedding dress. It's a thing I like that I didn't plan on writing about this month.
If you didn't read the comments after the proposal post, I'd like you to know it's my mom's dress. For some reason, after going through all her things when she died in '91, I kept that dress even though I didn't plan or even hope to get married again.
When Brad asked me to marry him, I was happy, but it was a sad day, too, because I couldn't share it with my mom or dad. There are moments still that cut to my heart, when I least expect to miss my parents, and that was one that caught me off guard.


So, since Mom wore it in July of 1953, it was fitting I wore it in July 2007. My something old.


Perhaps by July, I'll figure out how to use this scanner sitting next to me to share a photo of her in the dress...

3 comments:

mah-meeee said...

you look beautiful! i can't believe you and your mom can wear the same dress! i can no way fit into my mom's dress!

btw, re: your gramma's vases. beautifully written! when my gramma died, i had asked my aunt for one of her hand-made chinese dress.... i'm still waiting.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

You know, it's not a dress I would have picked for myself had I been given a choice, but the mom-factor won me over, no question.

My mom was probably a 12 or 10 when she married, I was a four. So the seamstress cut a lot off.

As for the vases, that's for tomorrow. I'll pray your aunt remembers your ask for a dress.

Mama said...

Whatever the size, that is one beautiful dress and lady wearing it, and your wedding photos are absolutely splendid! I really think it was meant to be that you wear it, because you are radiant in it!