After corresponding via Email for four months and talking on the phone many times a week for three months, Brad and I met in October of 2006. During our short courtship, he asked me to marry him twice. Once, we were sitting at the bar of a restaurant waiting for a table. I thought he was joking, so I just laughed. The next time we were at his house, and again, since it was so soon, I didn't take him seriously, but I did say,
"When you really ask me, I want it to be something. I want a story to tell."
Turns out, he had been serious both times, so his response was, "I may ask a third time, but not a fourth!"
A few weeks later, he was in Naperville for an extended weekend. He wanted to come to school that Friday (2/23) to meet my kids. That afternoon, he walked into my classroom wearing a new hat and carrying a box that was about the same size as the hat he was wearing.
I thought, "Oh funny, he's bought a matching hat for me, and he wants me to open it in front of the kids for a laugh."
As I unwrapped and opened the box, he kept teasing me to be careful, and I rolled my eyes at him, I'm certain.
When I lifted the lid, centered inside the gift box was an open ring box holding a diamond solitaire. He said, "Now will you?"
I replied, "You haven't asked me yet."
He groaned, and one of my students, Robert, who had been close to being on my last nerve that particular day, yelled out,
"You have to get on your knees!"
So Brad took a knee in front of me (and all the kids), and asked,
"Will you marry me?"
Of course, having been warned, I said, "Yes!"
My kids cheered so loud teachers from other rooms came in, and my aide/great friend Gail who had witnessed all this, went and got our other girlfriends--each time another adult came in, there was more shouting.
Apparently, my students and even students from other rooms went home that night with an interesting answer to, "Did anything happen at school today?" One boy said, "Her room is never noisy, so we knew something was up!"
So this is that story. And, yes, I do tend to make note of all our tender milestones. At our ages, I think it's important to mark each one!
Oh, and here's a picture of Robert at our July wedding:
He will forever be part of our story.


7 comments:
You have a great story and beautiful pictures to accompany it! What a memory for both of you and all your class! Super cool! I'm glad your early-asking scenario came to magnificent fruition, unlike some of us. I'm smiling, don't worry! I love a happy ending. You are both inspirational to me in your own unique ways : )
What an amazing story :) I remember how our classroom was always the quietest, I always appreciated it, it made reading easier...PLUS, you look amazing in your picture! What a beautiful gown!!
Yes, I'm a college student, during Finals Week, up at 12:20 AM, not exactly studying like I should be :)
I remember that day very well - you were the buzz of the school for the next few days.:) I think it is wonderful that you invited your students to witness the ending of the engagement story that started in your classroom.
Kayla, my memories of you are of a reader. I'm glad our room allowed for that!
The gown was my mom's dress, I had it altered and reworked to fit me. It made me miss her less that day.
Pam, aren't I always the buzz of the school??? ;)
Your last comment just made me giggle!
I too remember that day. Brad's great big bear hug, when I congratulated him, made me certain he was the guy for you. You will never know how happy I am for both of you.
And, not surprisingly, you did look amazing on your wedding day. Dan and I were very honored to share in your joy that day!
such a great story! it's great that he did it in front of the kids.
you looked beautiful in your Mom's dress!
This tender story reminds me of my own engagement to my wonderful husband 17 years ago when I taught 5th grade in Chicago Ridge. He proposed to me right before Christmas there, having worked out all the details with the good Sister who was principal. It was a day I'll never forget, nor will my students mind you who did participate in our wedding as altar servers and progrm distributors. Guess we have something in common to celebrate!
Post a Comment