Thursday, July 23, 2009

A cap full of craftiness



Yesterday was a day off, no tutoring and nowhere I had to be until 2:00. So I lazed around a bit here at home, and then I took a walk. I wanted it to be a long walk, so I headed into uncharted territories also known as cul-de-saq land. You see, if I enter an unknown subdivision, I can think I'm walking directly, but then find myself trapped in a maze of "Circles" and "Courts" and "Trails."

Works for me, I walk longer and farther than if I just walked a known loop.

Eventually, feeling I had walked good and far, I made my way back to a main and oh-so-boring road and turned a corner to lead me toward home. I was a bit further than 1.5 miles from home, but I was feeling good. Then, at this new corner, I spied the cutest little pine cones.

Very unlike me, I picked one up and wondered just how I could use it for some kind of winter (we are not to say Christmas) craft with my fourth graders. I got an idea, trust me nothing fabulous, and so I picked up two more. Walking home with three, I thought, was doable. I calculated as I walked just how many trips I'd have to make back to that corner to get enough for my as of yet unknown number of students. Too many (I like variety in my walks). So I picked up four more.

So there I was, at least 1.5 miles from home gingerly holding seven pretty pine cones in my hands. I felt like the goof that I am, but I also felt genuinely teacher-y--I was planning for December in July.
(Okay, have I looked at any fourth grade curriculum yet?
Nope, but I'm all set with a cute little gift for the kids to give their folks!)

Walking with seven pine cones cupped in both hands wasn't exactly a chore, but it did restrict movement. Of course, when I started to sweat, I couldn't wipe it away, so I started to tilt my head so it wouldn't roll into my eyes. My ipod wire got caught in the cones a number of times. Every itch went unscratched. I wondered if I'd wake this morning with my arms bent as if I was still holding this precious gift from nature. Such a sacrifice, right?

Then, about a quarter mile from home I realized three things.
1) It wasn't sunny.
2) I was wearing a hat.
3) I could use said hat to carry the pine cones, and not be concerned about a sunburned nose.


Huh.
I'm always thinking. But sometimes my thoughts are delayed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the little pine cones. I'm sure your craft will be cute. I need to go for a walk. Maybe later today, as my car is in the shop. Crafty!

-Renee

Jeanette Horng said...

I think you're a crafter waiting to come out! Don't dish out all your ideas just yet! We have that party tomorrow to look forward to :)

lisa :) said...

Very resourceful use of the cap! Can't wait to see your idea for the pine cone craft. I have a pine cone Christmas ornament from my grandparents (they used to have a huge pine forest in their backyard) and it will always remind me of them and playing hide and seek in their yard when we were little!

mah-meeee said...

it's great that you are thinking about christmas crafts already and it's still summer. if only we can always think ahead like that!

Pam C. said...

You are hysterical, El! That is what I just love about you! What a way to start my day, picturing you doing this.:) I hope no one in your class is allergic to sap.:)
Pam C.