Monday, May 10, 2010

Help needed to get me back from the Land of Out of Touch...

     My car is a 2003 Honda Civic.  When I bought it, I hoped I'd be driving it until I was in my 50's.  I turn 50 this October (okay, now is a good time to tell me I don't look anywhere near 50...)  My car has a radio.  A simple AM/FM radio, not the satellite variety, and I will admit to being a button pusher.
     In the mornings, I tend to listen to Christian radio as I drive to work (on the way home, news radio, but that's not pertinent).  Yes, I am a Christ Follower, yes I am uplifted by many Christian tunes, but mostly listening to Christian stations is a default behavior on my part.  My other station presets are too full of talk in the morning--even though they're set to music stations.
     When the personalities aren't chatting, the music they play on these current stations isn't so current.  Last week I stumbled across REO Speedwagon ("Time for Me to Fly"), Dexi's Midnight Runners ("Come on Eileen"), and Billy Idol (they all sound the same). When I got in the car this morning, I heard "Hey Jealousy," by the Gin Blossoms.  Great song, but circa '92 is my best guess.
     I have lost touch with what's good and popular now.
     I must have mentioned this to Mac, because for Mother's Day he gave me an iTunes gift card with the promise he'd load some new songs--and only "new" songs--on my ipod.  The problem is? I don't know a single one and the card will pay for dozens.
     So, my question of the week is, Will you make some recommendations for songs I could check out and add to my play list?
    Won't you help me please?  (Okay, it's the beg of the week!)

15 comments:

mahmeeee said...

need more info.... what type of music do you like?

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Pink, Black Eyed Peas/Fergie, Kelly Clarkson, Lady Antebellum, The Go-Go's (haha), The Fray, Jon Legend, Alanis Morrisette, BNL...

lisa :) said...

I'm way out of touch with the music world (and I'm determined to be the last person on Earth to own an iPod) but one recent band I have heard and liked is 30 Seconds to Mars. Tony and I call them "The Jared Leto Band" as their lead singer is the actor that used to be on My So-Called Life. Their big hit right now is Kings and Queens which has been played quite a bit on the radio. If that's not your style, I'll keep thinking.

And by the way, you don't look anywhere near 50. :)

eric b. said...

The band that won the "Great American Band" contest that the makers of AI put out have finally released a disc - I think they're very cool. They're called "Sons of Silvia" (used to be called The Clark Brothers) - they are worth checking out.

eric b. said...

And BNL do have a new CD out. so those songs would be worth downloading. My favorite two tracks are "You Run Away" and "Summertime"...

Paul said...

First...50..yeah right, more like mid 30's. I think Brad is robbing the cradle, but anyhow, it depends on what you like. A good place to start might be a website called Pandora.com. You type in a song that you might know and like, and it will play songs by that person and songs from other artists similar to that one. So if you have an old favorite and you want new ones like it..that might be the way to go!!!

Crystal via facebook said...

Gosh, Ellen, I can't believe you're gonna be 50! Yes, Pandora.....love it.

Catherine via facebook said...

Hey Ellen!
I'd recommend checking out Rodrigo Y Gabriela's music (they play some amazing guitar-based music). You could also check out some Franz Ferdinand (more rock, along the lines of the White Stripes). Also, Coldplay is enjoyable :)

Depending on your tastes, you could look into Ray LaMontagne (mellow singer/songwriter genre), Amos Lee, Ozomatli (my latest favorite), Jurassic5,...If you like hip hop, try Blue Scholars, Madcon (more rock/hip hop--fun stuff). If you like India Arie at all, also check out Jill Scott & Laura Izibor.

Okay, those are some fun options from my musical tastes. Don't hurry through your purchases! Make them count :)
Catherine

Pam C. said...

Shine Down!

Mama Violet said...

I don't listen to a lot of popular music. The artist I usually have in heavy rotation are Tarrus Riley (reggae), Zap Mama (soul/world), Salif Keita (afro-pop), and Sade (r&b/soul). Check them out on Pandora.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Sade, I saw her in concert back when I was pregnant with Mac!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ellen,

I want to chime in some useless
information. I too saw Sade in concert around 1988/89, in LA.
Second, like Lisa, I don't
have an I-pod either. The hearing
aids don't adapt. I am a Toby Mac
fan,which is funky Christian.
Good luck with your search.

BP

Laura said...

You and I like the same music, but I am stuck in the past.
I'm going to read what folks recommend to you too.

Katie said...

Hi! ..first of all don't let that son of yours dictate what "new" means. hahaha Second...here are my suggestions based on what you said you already like:
1. Sara Bareilles (one of my favs)
2. The Script
3. Circa Survive
4. Counting Crows (this is where Mac and I may differ on how important "new" is haha)
5. John Mayer (my dad even enjoyed this one)
6. Cheryl Cole (I'm almost hoping you don't like her, but she's like the UK version of Fergie (actually just released a song with Will.I.Am from the black eyed peas and is too catchy for her own good sometimes)
7. Missy Higgins (the song Where I Stood is a good place to start with her)
8. Jason Mraz
9. Pinback, as well as Maps and Atlases are my personal "drive with the windows down in the summer go-to bands"
10. Jacks Mannequin (This is one of Vicki and my favorite bands of all time)

Well there's the first 10 that popped into my head. If you decide you like them...let me know..I could actually get out my Ipod and list every single band I think you'd like. :) Hope it helps!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Mac is actually pretty kind when I ask him to help with my iPod.

This is going to be so much fun, but to do it right, I may wait until summer break to sit and listen to all these suggestions.

Katie, I like 1,2, 4, 5, and 8 on your list. I don't know all their songs though. I saw Jason Mraz with Alanis a few years back, and I have Sara and the Script on my blog play list.

I'm enjoying the comments here, and I'm appreciating the help. What a variety!