Sunday, June 20, 2010

Big Al

I will always love my dad.
I will laugh at his jokes that replay in my mind.
I will continue to be stunned when I reach for my phone to call him only to realize he has died.
I will shake my head over our clashing personalities.
I will treasure everything he left me.
I will see him again one day.

Photo: Dad with all his grandkids, his last Father's Day, June of 2000.
 





3 comments:

purejoy said...

what a sweet post. so glad you'll see him again someday.

Pam C. said...

Yesterday was a tough one for me too. My dad has been gone for 17 years - he passed away at age 58. My husband's dad died over ten years ago too and we went to church with a friend who lost her father one month ago. All three of us (me, my husband and my friend) were teary-eyed due to the beautiful tribute to fathers presented at the service. It never gets easier, does it? The grief just changes its focus for me. Now I wish I could have known him as a full-fledged adult and been able to share a relationship based on this level of maturity.

purejoy said...

well said, Pam C. i feel the same way about my dad, for the most part. i would have enjoyed sharing my middle age (yikes did i just say that?) with my dad. but then 11 years of absence makes the heart grow fonder…

shared a bit of love with you over on my blog…