Friday, July 30, 2010

Friend Friday

     My schedule this summer has been light, but still, each day there is something I have to do or someone I've made a date to hang out with.  Today is an exception, I woke with nothing to do but exercise (I never refer to it as working out because then I'd have to work harder).
     Last night, I cleaned our hall closet.  It's used mostly for office supplies.  I went through some birthday cards, and I picked out one for my blog friend Agnes's daughter Ashley in California.  She's going to be six on the third.  I earmarked some for Brad's next two grandkid birthdays (I'm his birthday secretary), too.  And I organized my note cards.  Doing so made me want to use them. I always school my students on the gift of writing, on the power of words, but except for leaving (many) facebook and blog comments, I don't share enough of my heart with my friends.
  So I went to bed knowing I'd write some love notes today.  Did I get carried away?
     The written word does have power.  I feel just plain ol' happy for starting my day this way.  I hope the recipients feel a little bit of that when they open their mailboxes come, oh, Monday and see a non-bill inside.
     Thanks for stopping by. I always hope these little posts have power of their own. It's why I share them.

7 comments:

purejoy said...

you're so right. there is nothing better than seeing happy mail in your mailbox. it's why i love december so much. i love getting cheery mail.
what a great idea. i feel challenged to do that, too.

i believe i'll have to table that idea until my little birds fly off.

Annette said...

I used to write notes and letters years ago but haven't done it in such a long time. Last year we received only one Christmas card and I didn't send any out the last 2 Christmases. I have a drawer full of note cards...I think I'll send out a couple this weekend! Thanks for bringing it up!! :)

Peggy said...

I love getting a handwritten card but also sending too!
I am now following you through
Follow Friday 40+!!
Peggy Gorman
http://pegsplay.blogspot.com/

Pam C said...

You are so cute! No wonder your followers' number is growing by leaps and bounds - look at how many lives you touch each day - including mine.:)

mahmeeee said...

she was so excited when she got your first letter. this time mommy and daddy are not the only ones that had a piece of mail in the mailbox!

she is now contemplating what to write you. will let you know when she is done!

she is very lucky to have a penpal/book fairy like you.

and i am very blessed to have you as a friend.

Doreen McGettigan said...

Hi I am a new visitor and follower from Over 40. I love the note cards. I always get my grand children their book bags for school and fill them with the stuff they need and some stuff they do not need (candy; I'm allowed cause I'm Mom-Mom) anyway this year I am putting in note cards and stamps and challenging them to write me a note every Friday throughout the school year telling me something they learned that week. I am curious to see if they follow through!

joann said...

I love the idea of sending real, tangible notes to people. It's so much nicer than an email. My friend Phyllis doesn't send Christmas letters or cards, but she does send beautiful, thoughtful letters to the people she loves but speaks to infrequently every Valentines day. I think that's a beautiful tradition that I've been tempted to borrow from her for years. My problem is that I never know how to begin, or how to end. The middle is easy :)

Thanks for another post that made me smile.