Sunday, July 11, 2010

Nice rack?

     Okay, I have been off my "schedule" for Question of the Week for a while.  But I really want to know the answer to this one...You see, I've been attempting some cooking of late (a little bit last fall and then again this summer), and so I've been buying spices.  Storing them has become a puzzle, I have them in a little basket in my pantry, mixed in with green sugars for cookies and similar, and I'm wondering if there is a better way.  It's a chore to sort through them whenever I need a pinch or a dash.
     I looked at spice racks on a recent trip to the store, and I did find the idea of a spinning rack intriguing.  But I'm unsure.  Brad's not sure he wants something else on the counter top keep clean...
     Therefore, my question of this week is:  Do you rack 'em?  Do you pantry them?  How do you store your spices? The novice cook, at 49, needs to know what works for you!
This one is gorgeous.
This one would still mean I'd be digging in the pantry.

Hm, super practical, but where to drill the holes.  The hubs is not big into holes.
Each one screams "bona fide cook" to me.  It's a little frightening.

All racks for this post were found at www.containerstore.com.  I just may have to go there...

16 comments:

Michelle said...

We store the spices in the cupboard on a double-decker lazy susan. Two of the small size containers fit on top of one another on the bottom shelf, so one "layer" can hold up to 28 small spices. They are easy to find and very accessible. Hope this helps!

So glad your culinary skills are blossoming. Everything was yummy.

Pam C said...

This is funny! Our spices are a big mess in our cabinet. We have to sort through them everytime we need a particular spice. Our method of storage a while back was to put them in those Maurice Lennel (sp?) cookie buckets, but one of the kids needed the buckets for something and proceeded to empty the buckets and now the spices are everywhere. I am also in need of some storage advice so this is a timely post for me!

lisa :) said...

Hahaha - I'm the stereotypical chaotic chef. Mine are all in the cabinet right above my stove and of course it takes plenty of digging and sorting to find the right one. More than once I've even dropped one on my head while cooking! I think I need a rack as well!

Kara said...

I have them in the cabinet right next to the stove. They are on the bottom shelf, while baking powder, salt and other baking things are on the upper shelves. They make sense to me because I know where they are in there. I have a spice rack that hangs on the wall, but it is all for show!

Megan said...

I have mine in a narrow cupbaord next to the stove. I have them arranged by type--nutmeg and cinnamon go together, garlic powder and garlic salt, minced onions with onion powder, etc. I have them arranged around the edge of the shelf with the taller bottles in the middle--EVOO, Worcestshire sauce, etc. It's not ideal, but it works. Jeremy is really bad about putting them back how I like so that drives me crazy. But I don't want anything more on my counter, so we make do with a cupboard.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Hm, Kara, a just for show spice rack. My husband has just for show towels...but this is something new. Megan, I don't understand you're system! I feel bad for Jeremy!
;)
Michelle, that sounds like a huge lazy susan...Pam, apparently we are kindred spirits in the realm of storage. You're so organized at school, this is intriguing!
I'm leaning toward looking for little shelves to screw into the walls. Time to measure and start shopping. (I don't want to get thunked on the head like Lisa!)
Oh boy!

Anonymous said...

I don't really cook. We use mainly Onion powder, garlic powder, Lawry's season salt and everglades seasoning. So on occasion when I do need something else I buy the smallest size I can find knowing it will probably never get used again. I also keep every thing on a turntable. I also use in the medicine cabinet. It stores a lot and is easy to see. I had a spinner that held about 16 glass bottles and I didn't like it on the counter.

Anonymous said...

Mine are stored in the cupboard. Thanks for linking up on Fancy Meeting You! Just stopping by to say hello. Rita http://www.one2try.net/

Amy said...

Hi Ellen!

I have a spinning rack in my pantry on the shelf at eye level. Next to it about half the remaining shelf is devoted to spice containers too big for the spinner - for example large Kosher salt box, shrimp boil, and spices I buy in extra large sizes like minced onion, cinnamon, paprika. I still have to dig to find some of the lesser used ones, but mainly this works for me.

This is hard ot figure out for sure! (I keep cookie and cake decorating stuff - sugars and whatnot - bagged up on a different shelf in the pantry.)

Anonymous said...

LOL. You had me for a minute there with the nice rack (yes, I must have a dirty mind). I store my spices in a cabinet although we do have a spinning spice rack that was given to us as a housewarming gift. I hope you find the rack that works for you.

I am visiting and now following from Fancy Meeting You Monday. Thanks for linking up!

Lynn
http://www.middayescapades.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind comment on my blog. I am following you now too :)

Kelsey said...

Ours are in a big piled up mess in my spice cabinet...I always have to pull everyting out to fine one if it's in the back..and I have every spice imagineable. I need a better way, let me know what you come up with! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Kelsey
courageousmother.blogspot.com

mary yep said...

What are you talking about?!
I open the cabinet and there is the salt and right next to it, pepper.............

purejoy said...

i have a tupperware lazy suzan job that i got YEARS ago, but it has served me well. keeps them airtight (a plus) and the double decker spinny thing is a must.
it's not big enough for all of my spices… but i do have a cupboard next to the stove where i keep them all. i think keeping them out of the light helps them keep longer.
i know were they are… i know where to find my cumin, and where to keep my red pepper flakes. i know which side my cream of tartar is located as well as my lemon pepper. putting them back in the same general place is key to happy spices!
plus, the ones on the counter get dirty and gritty. just another thing to clean, if you ask me!

andi said...

Our spices are stored above our oven with a million other things. Usually when we look for one, we can't find it, buy another one, and then end up with two.... I need to purchase that first spice rack. so pretty. :)

Shelley said...

I need a lazy susan, I figure its the only way to get access to all my spices easily, but for now they are just in my cabinet, in some semblance of order. I highly suggest Emeril's seasoning for just about anything- it has replaced my Lawry's. Weber makes a really good Chicago Steak seasoning grinder that I love (not that you eat much steak)