Monday, August 30, 2010

Change of Plans?

      I quietly started the Couch to 5K plan about seven weeks ago. I waited until the beginning of each week to view the walk/run plan for the week so I wouldn't be overwhelmed.  I was really pleased with my week by week progress until I took a look at week five.  Week five hit me hard.  The running or jogging increment of day one of week five was eight minutes. Just looking at that jump from week four's five minutes of running to week five's eight minutes made me nervous.
     I didn't think I could do it, but I did.
     However, after week five's day two, I started having breathing difficulty and foot pain.  I had to walk the rest of the week.  That weekend, I went to a good running shoe store and purchased some so-well-fitted-they-even-had-me-run-in-them running shoes.
     It seemed like a good idea to repeat week five, especially when I realized the third day was a huge leap from eight minute running increments to a 20 minute run. (What???)  Gulp.
     The new shoes helped with the foot pain, but ten minutes was all I could do.  Ten minutes of running just about kills me.  Ten minutes makes me think not about how accomplished I'm feeling but about how much I hate running.  Did I ever tell you all that?  I hate running.
     If I could only do ten, how would I ever get to twenty?
     Yet, I still want to do this.  I still aim to accomplish running the 5K distance.
     Brad and I were talking about my frustration and feeling of failure on Saturday.  He's not sure why this 5K thing is important to me, but since it is he encourages me.  He said, "Shoot for 11.  And, when you have that down, shoot for 12."  He told me to be patient, to listen to my body, and even if it takes me until Christmas to achieve my 5K goal, I will still reach my goal.
     Good advice.  Yesterday I ran for 11 minutes. Last night I asked my yoga teacher for breathing advice.
     We'll see what's next.  
So, this brings me to this week's question(s) of the week.  
Have you ever had to amend a plan for reaching a goal?  
Did you eventually make it to your end point?

6 comments:

Pam C said...

Brad is giving you excellent advice! Baby steps, right?

JoAnn said...

Cut yourself some slack. I'm repeating week 1 until I think my lungs can handle more (they're not really used to this sort of thing), and I don't feel badly about it at all. I know I'll get there when my body is ready. Do this at your pace and enjoy each accomplishment on the way. If that means adding a minute to your run and relishing that is better than adding a bunch of minutes to your run and being sick over it.
You have great heart. I have no doubt that you'll reach your goal.
Hugs!

SusanD said...

I'm @ week 5 too. :) I'm only up to a 7 minute stretch at a time. My lungs are slowly catching up with me, but most days it's still a struggle. I'm hoping the cooler temps help. Keep up the great work. Blessings, SusanD

purejoy said...

way to stay focused on the goal, not the process. proud of you (and your new kicks). hope your feet feel better!

i've managed to run (okay jog) 1/4 mile and walk 1/4 mile uphill. my shins began to bother me so i took a few days off, but still walked. need to be more diligent about stretching.

diet has netted me minus 7 pounds for the first month. not great, but not bad. it's a step in the right direction.

ALI said...

First, I love how Brad supports you.

Second, I totally agree with him. You'll get there, just may be at your time, not C25K's...

Good luck! You can do it.

Shelley said...

I hate the discrepancy between what my body can do and what my mind wants to do. My lungs have been fighting me, and my foot. I have been taking a running break and might actually have to see a doctor about my foot if there is no improvement soon. Hoping to have the 150 to plunk into the new shoes I need soon, but not holding my breath. I bough some new orthotics hoping they will hold me over. The last time I tried running I only did 15/20 minutes before I had to do a cool down as my lungs were going to explode!