Thursday, August 19, 2010

A day on which Becky Homecky takes over

     Last week, I made a pistachio cake for Mac to take into work on his last day.   Two days later, I made one for his birthday.  I mentioned one of these cakes on this blog, and I had a number of people ask me about it.  So even though I should be the last person to share a recipe, I'm going to give in and be all domestic like and do just that.
     The humor is not lost on my that when EVERYONE seems to be getting into cupcakes, heck there are even TV shows about cupcake makers, I'm making bundt cakes. I am so far from hip in the culinary world, or any other, I'm almost retro.  Bundts, are they so 70s?
    Back story first though, whenever I bring a bundt cake to school for treat day or similar, one fellow teacher there always says, "You made this?  YOU?"  Apparently she fashions herself as a gourmet, but she can't get a bundt out of a pan intact.  Hm.  Here are my secrets:  This cookbook, this pan and this spray.
    The book is well used, grease and batter stained and bookmarked (which is funny because my Salads cookbook is pristine.)  The pan was a purchase in my aspiring Becky Homecky days.  I actually had a hope chest--well, in collection form not a Lane chest (those of you under 40 go ahead and ask your mom what a hope chest is)--and this was in it.  I bought it at Venture, remember them?  They were Target before Target came to town.  The spray I bought on a fluke, actually the Baker's Joy version, much more recently and it is much easier to use than the old school grease and flour method.  Each time my cake comes out, I'm quietly gleeful.
     You don't have to scrutinize the picture of the pan to see it's gotten a lot of use, but so far no one has ever complained of finding Teflon peel in her piece of bundt cake.  (Exhalation of relief...)
     To continue, here (plus H20) are the ingredients:
Mix:
One yellow cake mix (seriously, whatever is on sale)
One cup water
1/3 cup oil
Three large eggs
One small box of pistachio instant pudding
and...
this is the fun part...
One cup of club soda.
This ingredient affords the baker two cheap thrills.  Opening the bottle without it fizzing all over and pouring the cup into the mixing bowl and watching the pudding mix foam.  
You may also stir in crushed a half cup of crushed white pistachios or pecans, but I find the cake has a nutty taste even without them.
Pour into prepared bundt pan, bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
Cool for ten minutes, invert onto plate:
Sigh with relief REQUIRED.
Allow to cool thoroughly.
Sprinkle with confectioner's/powdered sugar:
And you've got yourself a nutty, moist cake.
(I just received a Jiffy brand cookbook in the mail. In it is a filled lemon bundt cake recipe. That's next...)

10 comments:

Debbie via facebook said...

I too am a bundt cake girl. One bowl mixing with only 5 ingredients (my specialty is a chocolate-y chocolate one), no frosting debacles and comments akin to if I had just presented baked Alaska in all its flaming glory! (I intend to check out your spray. I use Crisco which is a mess when trying to spread in a bundt pan and WAY unhealthy ,, since the cake is otherwise a healthy choice!)

Maria (also Bia) said...

wow. i am seriously going to have to try this. i know you say you don't cook ... but i bet you really do:0)

Stacy said...

I so love my bundt pan! I actually miss when they used to make mixes just for them. Remember the tunnel of fudge one? Mm-mmmmm.

You made me think of one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies...when John Corbet's mother in 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' gives a bundt cake to the Greek family and they have no idea what it is. It's a 'boont.' lol

ALI said...

Thanks for the tips, as I usually leave some pieces in the bottom...

It's so funny you used this recipe, as J picked up that book last week at B&N when I was looking for a George Foreman cookbook. He also grabbed the 101 More things sequel as well.

I'm excited for the lemon bundt to possibly try for my DH a total lemon lover.

Janie B said...

This sounds really good. I'll have to check it out someday when my dieting days are over. (If ever...)

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Debbie--Let us bring back the bundt!

Bia--seriously I don't cook, much or well.

Ace--I have a friend who references that movie each time I make a bundt.

Ali--I have both books, but I really just use the first one.

Janie B.--it is good, everything in moderation is my motto. Then treadmill...

Weezer said...

Oh I wish I baked. That looks so so good. I love pound cakes and whatever other kinds of cake (doughnuts?) that doesn't have a whole bunch of frosting. I love the CAKE.

mahmeeee said...

this look super yum!

now i want some cake...

purejoy said...

sounds delicious… but three weeks ago, i swore off sugar. all of it. carbs, for the most part. while i've sid goodbye for now, i'll be reintroducing the complex/whole food ones soon.

JoAnn said...

This looks lovely! I'm recently (February) gluten free, and have yet to find a good GF cake mix. I have faith that I'll find one and when I do, I'll tweak it and cook it in a bundt pan. I love bundt cakes. I love how retro they look and how yummy they taste.

Thanks for another delicious post!