Thursday, August 5, 2010

Finally composting!

     In Genesis, 2:15, God places Adam in the garden of Eden and tells him, this man, to take care of it.  That's a directive for all us.  We are meant to be stewards of our home.
     If you were to click on my blog label, "a wee bit o' greening," you would see that I work at doing small things to makes a change in the world. I'm still using my metal razor, my cloth napkins (about 90% of the time), my white washcloths, my reusable shopping bags...but I understand I have much more I could be doing.
 (A gift from Anna, a student)
    So this past weekend, I started--with Brad's agreement and help--a compost bin!  I am so excited!  I followed the directions I found here, and I did my own thing to adapt it to our budget and use.
     First, we went to Lowe's where for under nine dollars (including tax) we found a green (blends in with our house and bushes) bin made of 90% recycled plastic.  Our mistake, as we started the next step we realized the lid was VERY hard to open.  Before buying a bin, you may want to test it out since the idea is to open and close it frequently.
     Next, Brad drilled holes in the lid to allow air and rain water in.  He also drilled holes, not as many, in the bottom to allow water out.
      The next step was the easiest, I added a few inches of shredded paper.  Brad shreds all mail and old office documents, and then he recycles the paper, so I hit his home office for this fill.
      Seeing that it's summer and the heart of the growing season, this next one was tough--I had to have a layer of "browns," or dead stuff.  Had a hard time finding them, as you can see.  They didn't quite fill...
     As they say, easy-peasy, next went the greens.  Weeds, leaves, grass.  We have an empty lot across the street, and it's fringed with plenty of easy-to-pull-because-it-just-rained green weeds.  Sweet corn husks went in as greens too. 
     To make it pretty, it was time for table/kitchen scraps. Two tea bags, corn hulls (cut up), and a paper napkin.  I added two wilting carnations for a garnish.

    Now, on the site I used as a guide, worms were not used. After my classroom worm experiment, I had to! So I added some WalMart bait fridge night crawlers.  I've heard red wigglers are best, but they didn't have those in the fridge.  I dumped in the worms and added their "compostable" cups--after tearing them up.  Here are the worms in close up:
     Ready to go!  We'll keep adding scraps:  egg shells, strawberry stems, coffee grounds, old lettuce...no dairy and no meat scraps.  They don't compost at all quickly and they attract critters.  I carried the bin to the patio, and I placed it on two bricks to allow it to breathe and leak (we plan on hosing off the leakage so it doesn't mar the patio.)
     It smells, but only when we open it to put more in.  
     In a few weeks, we'll turn it.  In winter we may move it to the garage.  (Do worms freeze?  Further research needed.)  And perhaps, a mix of this compost and our clay soil will allow next year's backyard plants to thrive!

12 comments:

Weezer said...

What a great idea! I think I'm going to see if I have a place for such a bin and if so, that's what I'm going to do. I use the shredded paper from the shredder in my bird cages rather than buying some of that awful yucky colored stuff. I recycle all my detergent plastic bottles of course, but all the brightly colored lids go to the grandbabies for toys. They love trying to stack them or use them in the bath or swimming pool. There's always something else we can do to keep things going in the green direction.

Laura said...

love that bag.

WillyP & me said...

Kudos to you - this is amazing! I think you may lose your worms in the winter if you store them outside... but I'm not 100%. Keep up the good green work!!

~ GGG

ps - thanks for the shout-out

Weezer said...

Check back with me later. I'm leaving you something there.

lisa :) said...

So cool! Composting is definitely on my list for things I want to do when I own a house! (Though I've actually contemplated starting a small scale bin next to our porch, don't know that the assoc would approve though...)

Anna Marie said...

I am glade you like the bag! Have a great rest of your summer! See you soon! :) :)

JoAnn said...

I like this so much better than the compost bin that we bought (flexible plastic 'tube' held in place with poles). Let me know how it goes with this!

DontSayHurry said...

Ohhh! I am inspired! Still have to convince the family to compost... thanks for the great tip... plastic bin! following from green blog hop

Turning the Clock Back said...

we compost too but I am always lacking the brown/dry material. I will have to consider a paper shredder!

Following through the green follow wednesday! Would love for you to come follow back if you are interested in some green giveaways and healthy freebies and coupons!

Happy Wednesday!

Diane
www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

Jess and the boys said...

Hi there! Thanks for joining Green Blog Hop! I'm your newest follower! :)

-Jessica
And Then there Were 4...
http://giveawaysandlife.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

Very cool! That is the kind of composting an apartment sweller like me could do too!

Following from the Green Blog Hop! Thanks for linking up!

Amy @ Render Me Mama

Anonymous said...

Anyone who cooks has probably followed a recipe and omitted a few ingredients as they weren’t readily to hand.
Fresh herbs can elevate an otherwise ordinary dish to the sphere of outstanding, they are sometimes integral to the recipe, not used merely to boost the taste of the food.

Having your own [url=http://www.ezeen.net/Art/9965/28/Tips-To-Grow-Herbs-Inside-An-Indoor-Herb-Garden.html]indoor herb garden [/url]will be the missing link that will bring you within the Hall Of Fame.