At our church, the emphasis on serving is placed, "here, near, and far." I thought this was a strong way to state an important practice, so I borrowed the idea for my classroom. We too are going to serve our community here, near, and far.
A few years ago, many of my students hoped to be elected to student council. Each class only has three representatives, so I promised my kids I'd find something else we could do to serve. Something "kid-driven." While at a district meeting, I looked out the window and saw some elderly people on the lawn of an old school. I learned the school, now owned by a church, rents space to an elder day care center. The director was contacted, and we started taking walking field trips to the center to spend a little bit of time with the clients. This will be the third year my class has done this. We'll go for the first time on Thursday.
Our "here."
While on my mission trip to Kentucky this past June, I made contact with some folks who directed me to the town's elementary school. As school began, I sent a letter to "any fourth grade teacher" at the school requesting we start a pen pal relationship. Mrs. Farrar got my letter, and today my kids got letters from her students for the first time. Oh, my kids were delighted! Here are many of them pouring over their letters.
Writing to our pen pals will be our "near." This school is in a rural area, and it's quite strapped--my students don't know that. I also haven't told my kids, but I do hope to do more than write letters. Today one of my kids said, "Can we send them things?" I said, "We'll see..."
Last May we went to Feed My Starving Children, and we'll go again this May (seems so far away). This is our "far."
With all the demands of curriculum and the state, it's so hard to find time to work on community building. But I cannot imagine a world or classroom without it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
I love that you take your kids to the next level - they leave you knowing so much more than academics. You make them better people.
P.S. Thanks for fixing what ailed me.:) I am very grateful!
I hope they're leaving with a handle on the academics too!
;)
That's such a great way to get your kids serving and I love the "here, near, and far" explanation.
There was a message at church a while back that looked at Jesus's command to be His witnesses in "Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria and even to the remotest parts of the earth" and it was explained that Jerusalem was basically their home; Judea was pretty much all their neighbors; Samaria was the country nearby where people were very different from them; and the ends of the earth meant anywhere and everywhere else they could go. Each one is a unique experience but there's something to give and something to gain from each one.
I think it's really neat to model that for your students. People of any and all ages - and any and all religious/nonreligious backgrounds - can really benefit from serving in all of those different situations.
You're a fantastic teacher! I wish Princess had run into a few like you over the years. Her school career may have been quite different.
Ace, not fantastic, just always hoping to stay aware of what goes on outside our little bubble.
here, near, far ... excellent concept to apply to your classroom
and can i just say ... the idea of pen pals is fantastic! letter-writing is such a lost art that i am glad you're students are experiencing the thrill that comes from getting a letter IN THE MAIL!!
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I remember having a pen pal when I was kid, and I wish I could have kept up better. I wonder with technology of today, if I would have been a kid today.
And I love how you incorporate both acedemic with social teachings in your classroom.
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I remember having a pen pal when I was kid, and I wish I could have kept up better. I wonder with technology of today, if I would have been a kid today.
And I love how you incorporate both acedemic with social teachings in your classroom.
I love what you do with your students. It's fun for them to get out of the classroom and it teaches them so much more than they can get out of books. I'll give you an A+ for that!:)
that's awesome!
:-)
Hi I am Nicole from ColiesKitchen.com I found you on a blog hop and wanted to drop by and say hi. I really like your blog, and am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance.
What a great idea!! Writing these down in my "great classroom ideas" journal....I hope you don't mind that I am borrowing all these ideas! I promise to give you credit for them! Just know I wouldn't take an idea unless it was a good one :)
Post a Comment