If the World Were a Village
by David J. Smith
I've heard many of the statistics shared in this book in the past, but I loved the idea of them all in one book, a book for kids. So I checked it out and...brought it home! (Where there are no kids.) I've read through it twice, and I want to read it with my kids, but I best study it a while longer. I have to figure out the best way to use it.
The concept of the book? Thinking of all the people (seven billion) in the world is too hard, so let's narrow it down to a village of 100. Then the stats are easier to handle, but they remain striking nonetheless.
What got me the most? Hard to say. I think it will change each time I read it. As of the last reading this one hit me pretty hard, "There is no shortage of food in the global village. If all the food were divided equally, everyone would have enough to eat..." However, "60 people are always hungry, and 26 of these are severely undernourished. 16 people go to bed hungry at least some of the time. Only 24 people always have enough to eat."
Hm.



2 comments:
This is a fantastic book and a wonderful tool for teaching kids (and us).
I'll have to check it out... And would lead me to wanting to do more research to understand why so many are hungry.
Is it where they live (geographic)?
Is it ecoomic issues?
is it food wasted that could & should have been redistributed?
Def. food (pun intended) for thought.
Post a Comment