Wednesday, September 1, 2010

WorMs for Wednesday

     On Saturday, we drove to an neighboring town's ACE Hardware store to buy some Red Wigglers for the compost bin.  I had been told this variety of worm is the best for composting.  I bought two containers, and I have no idea how many I had. 
     Getting the mix right in the bin has been a small challenge.  I've been doing more research on-line  Along with our (no meat and dairy) table scraps and summer fruit skins and rinds, we've added corn husks, pistachio shells, shredded newspapers and any "browns" (dead leaves and grass) we can find--not so easy in a townhome environment in summer.
     Anyway, I was hoping the new worms would be the best additive.
     Last night I went out back to water my flowers.  I'm assuming because of the quick but heavy rain we'd had the night before, there was some compost juice on the patio.  I need to find a way to collect this as it's meant to be great for flowers and plants, but until I can figure out a way, I hose off the cement whenever it leaks.  I moved the compost bin (scared a toad) to thoroughly hose and saw...
(artist's rendering of our cement patio under the bin)
     Truly, it was too gruesome to photograph. 
     Sigh. I am a worm killer.  However, I am also a worm saver as two worms were still wiggling, so I picked them up and threw them back in the bin.  (Not to mention I did free them from the bait fridge at the hardware store...)
     Obviously my essential red wormies are finding their way/being washed out of the bin through the drainage holes on the bottom.  So I moved the bin to the mulch where I hope the townhome "landscapers" leave it alone.  At least there, the juice will run into the earth and any escapees will be able to burrow down into the dirt.       
     This weekend I shall, I SHALL, dig into the bin and cover the holes with coffee filters.  I am practicing holding my breath starting now...  
      Corny but true, it is so NOT easy being green!

10 comments:

Pam C said...

Too funny!

Tina said...

Grinning. Poor worms. Glad they have such a guardian in you ;-) We compost, and in addition to what you've mentioned, we add egg shells, tea bags, coffee grounds, and in the fall we do leaf patrol. When everyone has their leaves bagged ad sitting by the curb waiting for the city to pick up, we take our utility trailer and snag them. We used to knock and ask permission, but in three years no one said no, so now we just grab and go.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Tina, I add coffee, tea bags and egg shells too. We're doing well, just hoping we can move it into the garage for the winter...

The only good thing about fall will be the ample leaves to scoop up and add. The hard part, getting to them before the groundskeepers. I'll have to be vigilant.

Amber D said...

Glad to have found you, thanks for stopping by!

lisa :) said...

Aww poor worms. Of course I always see dead ones on the sidewalk after any rain so at least yours probably had a deluxe final meal.

Keya said...

I like to keep my worms in my garden. Not sure they could survive the Georgia heat in that black compost bin--I think I'd have fried worms! :) Thanks for visiting me today!

www.zibelineknits.blogspot.com

Keya said...

I like to keep my worms in my garden. Not sure they could survive the Georgia heat in that black compost bin--I think I'd have fried worms! :) Thanks for visiting me today!

www.zibelineknits.blogspot.com

Organic Girl said...

Happy Wed, I am a new follower!! I cant wait to read more :) Organic Girl andTodays Diva

Anonymous said...

Um... Here's an idea...

Can you just tape the filters to the bottom?

Yes, I admit, the idea of digging through that gives me the wee willies...

If the landscapers do get to the leaves before you, don't forget to check out all of the wonderful forest perserves and parks around us... I'm sure you can find tons of leaves, in a small area, not even making a dent by what you collect.

Candace said...

I have been talking to my husband about composting. Good for you that you are actually doing it! One of these days...if we don't run away in an Airstream....maybe I will get one.

Blessings~
Candace