Friday, December 31, 2010

My After Christmas Strategy

     My Christmas decorations do not overtake my home.  I enjoy looking at blogs to see how others decorate their homes, and some people really go all out.  Their decor reminds me of what you'd see in a banquet hall versus what you'd see in a home.  It's pretty, but it's not homey.  Some people attempt to go with the latest trends, but in a way, the idea of latest trends for the holidays is upsetting to me as I love tradition.  I like putting out the same things year after year.
     A recent post here was about some of the ways I decorate our home for Christmas.  A few people other than us see it, but even it were just us, I'd do it all the same.  We have a Christmas party, family comes over, and now and again friends stop by.  What I like about me is I don't drive myself to Christmas perfection--the only perfect Christmas happened a bit over 2000 years ago--so I just have fun and enjoy the whimsical and spiritual things I display.  Each year it gets a little more elaborate, each year a little brighter.
     I do this by waiting until after Christmas a few days and going out to see what's left.  In other words, you will never catch me on the 26th out shopping the day after sales.  I also try to use things we already have.  However, two things I hope to do next December are to wind festive red ribbon around the ivory candles on the pedestal holders which bookend the buffet.(There are four, though you can't really see them here.)  I figured that's a more frugal way to brighten things up than buying four red candles.  I'll also take time to find and polish my mom's sterling candle holders for Christmas dinner--even though it's Usually just the three of us for that meal.
     I also have been stocking up on gold, silver, and pearly white ornaments to make a wreath like this one for our hall:
     Admittedly, my last name is Stewart, but I'm no Martha, so this seems daunting. I'm saving it up until July when I have some time to do it right.  I even bought some great, wide silver ribbon with which to hang it.
     I'm a geek for my Christmas tree and ornaments.  My husband thinks I do a good job, and except for carrying the tree up around Dec 1 and back down on Dec 31, he stays out of my way.  He knows so many of the things I display have a memory attached to them, and he does also know that he is now part of those memories with ornaments we have selected together.
     Tonight, New Year's Eve, we'll look at our tree one more time and look forward to the coming year.  It's a romantic, blessing filled moment--and part of our holiday traditions.

7 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

After I posted this, I realized the wreath looks really Easterish, and that is not my plan!

purejoy said...

mmmm. how beautiful. i love the wreath.

i'm like you. i don't go overboard. i decorate, but not overly so. i don't like to get bogged down with doing christmas… and like you said, it's not like much more that the immediate fam see it.

i also feel like all the buying buying buying that happens isn't what i'm called to do. i shouldn't be sucked into what the culture says my house should look like. but i do have to resist the temptation, too. i like new stuff, but do i really NEED it??

love your nativity. it's lovely.

Pam C said...

I love, love, love the wreath!!!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I love the wreath too, and I'm excited to make it this summer. But...I wonder if I will make it right. More research to do.

In the meantime, a Valentine wreath is already in the making, and it's cute, cute.

I want to make some paper flowers out of old dictionary pages. Boy the 'Net is full of good ideas.

Megan said...

Ooh...I like that wreath! I want to make one too. And your house always looks great. You have a good eye!

agnes said...

what type or ornaments? i have a box of 8 or 10 round ornaments in the pearly white/silver variety that i haven't used in years. want them? although i think those are the type when you drop on the ground, they will break - so not plastic.

let me know!

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing your strategies. I too wait until after Christmas bargains and have bought many many decorations from resale or antique shops. The items are unique and very reasonably priced. I love your wreath! I am a sucker for old glass ornaments. I usually put several bowls of them around the house during the holiday season.