Wednesday, February 16, 2011

So far this week...

     This week has been filled with wonderful pleasures, simple pleasures.
     Saturday was a good day. After returning home from a lunch out (rare treat) and errands with Brad, I got the biggest surprise in the mail.  My Cali friend Agnes sent me these:
      The little card says, "Thinking of you," and inside she wrote a sweet little message.  I went on-line and learned a number of spas in this area accept these, but I've decided to take some time choosing where to go and what to have done.  The anticipation is going to make this gift even better!  (Hard to believe that's possible!)
      On Saturday night after a great church service, I finished the part of the now dubbed lavender  "Ramen noodle" scarf that I was able to do on my own.  Here are Brad's helpful hands attempting to unknot and untwist this annoying, but pretty, yarn.  It just twists like crazy.
     Megan, my knitting sensei is going to direct me in finishing it off on Friday afternoon.  There's a ruffle thing, and the directions were about as clear as trigonometry to me.  Brenda has agreed to meet me for lunch at a restaurant near a yarn store when she's in town, which means she is taking me seriously when I say, "If you won't wear it, you have to tell me."  I'd rather have her have something she'd use to death than this little thing!  We'll pick out a still pretty but easier to work with yarn for something new...
     On Sunday, Brad was out and I puttered around the house and planted these:
     Ah, little seeds, germinate!  Then in a number of weeks, when all the whiteness is gone, I'll plant you here:
     Yep, that's our backyard mulched area!  Some grass is peeking through in some areas, but not there.  I took a walk shortly after taking this picture, and also saw some waist high snow.  A thaw, but not THE thaw!
     And then...only two and a half months since purchasing it.  I took this out of its box.  That's about as far as I got before I was plagued by Home Ec. nightmares and decided to take a nap.
     Gotta figure out how to use it, all of my March projects require it!  That's setting the bar high, eh?  Lots of straight seams planned, keeping it easy.   Anyway, there it sits.
     Monday, aka Valentine's Day, found me enjoying my class party and anticipating drinking this once ice cold...
...imported from Mexico Coca-Cola.  Glass bottle and real sugar (not corn syrup) make for one refreshing and rare treat.  And it reminds me of my Mexico mission trips.  All very good stuff!  Thanks to my teammate and friend Betsy.
     The only downside to this week so far was the ear infection that kept me out of school yesterday.  If I were to make a thankful list right now, and I think I will, I would be thankful for doctors, antibiotics, and a very caring husband who drove me to said doctors' office, went to CVS to pick up the drugs, and took sweet care of me all day.
     While I haven't touched the sewing machine since Sunday's unboxing, I did knit two little American Girl Doll scarves at the request of one of my classroom mom helpers.  I even taught myself how to cast on and bind off.  Megan's casting on is tidier, but for my first solo attempt I did okay. (Thanks to YouTube...) Now if I could just figure out what to do with the little errant loop on each scarf, I'd be all set!
     And the Cabbage Patch Doll?  Well, I use him as my size model, and since I was home needing to relax, I asked Brad (who did actually get much work done yesterday whilst catering to me) to wash his head (a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser did wonders) and then I dressed him in his original outfit.  Just seemed wrong to wrap a wild, girlie scarf around his 80s corduroy suit for this picture.
     Remember, I did say simple pleasures!
     How has your week been so far?


    

1 comment:

purejoy said...

sorry you're sick. must be hanging out with all those prepubescent germs. at least you had a productive time! the scarves are so cute.
i think you need to try a cowel, next. sort of like a scarf that is joined together then looped twice around the neck to make a cowel. so cute. add a fun silk flower and it's oh-so-cute!