At Community, I appreciated the fellowship (we had so many friends) and the teaching most.
So I have to ask, drum roll for this week's question...
What do you love about your church?
What allows you to feel a fit there?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday, Brad worked with clients into the early evening, and I was feeling a little puny from giving blood. So we decided to go to church on Sunday instead of our usual Saturday night date in the front row at The Compass. On Sunday, as it turned out, he had to work again and I was left to go to church without him. There was a small part of me that thought, "Don't go." But that part was quickly overruled. Then I checked the week's Lenten challenge/experience, "Godless" where I was challenged to omit worship experiences of any kind for the week. Then I for sure NEEDED to go.
Take that mere thought of missing out on one service and wanting very much to go, and multiply it by a billion, and know--that's what it must feel like to live in a country where worshiping God is illegal.
Thank you Lord, for allowing me to openly spend time with you--on Saturday, Sunday and every day!
I do understand that I would be just "as Christian" if I couldn't go to church, perhaps my faith would run deeper, but I'm not going to skip out on a worship service on a dare, something this precious must be celebrated!



5 comments:
Hmmm...I'd love to answer this about our last 2 churches. Currently we are at a strange spot where our new church doesn't feel like much of a fit now and I (honestly) don't look forward to going for myself. I guess what I am thankful for at the new place are the programs for my kids and seeing their heart for world missions. The New England style of church seems so different than what we loved about Willow and (before that) Lancaster County Bible Church in PA. There I loved the worship, teaching, Bill (of course...), the very current style, children/youth ministry and the mission of reaching out! :) Thankfully I still can hear the Willow podcasts!
I am so very thankful that we have the freedom to worship God in gatherings publicly and even though a church may not be my preferred style, I will not give up on that wonderful privilege we have of meeting. It's amazing to think of what believers in many parts of the world go through when they decide to live for Christ. My heart is so moved by their testimony.
This past Sunday's service touched on a Missionary family. A family of 7, who live & work under fear building churches & teaching people in Africa. It left me speachless.
I think it touched me even more, as my dad's oldest sister & her family were missionaries in Argentina. I wish they were still around, so I could share with them my joy in understanding the sacrifices they made. I find comfort in knowing I can share with them through prayer.
What do you love about your church?
Since it is a new church, this is still to be determined.
What allows you to feel a fit there?
Again... Still to be determined.
The things I love are for my son. The reward I'm feeling now, are from The Word & the message - not really the church.
Hubby and I don't have a membership in a church anymore. We regularly attend a worship service at the place I work - a long-term care centre. The people there need our help to even get down to services. I coordinate the visiting clergy rotation and we are truly blessed beyond anything I could imagine. We still sing hymns - deep theological meaning in the lyrics and such wonderful melodies and harmonies. That's our church!
For mid-week prayer meeting I've met with the same group of six - eight for years and our focus is Scripture and prayer!
I love my church.
Our pastor(s) are incredible, and the community is absolutely phenomenal. That being said, I've also never regularly attended another church, so I don't have much to compare it to.
When I get married I'm leaving my church to attend my fiances. I'm terrified. How do you go from a place you love and belong to a place where you know no one?
My church feels like a wonderful home filled with awesome carring people. Almost two years ago, Jim and I were in such need of finding a place of comfort to help us deal with all the things that life was thowing at us. Lemont Calvary Church is that place. I've learned so much about God, the bible and this chuch and Pastor Jim and the church family has ought me alot and helped me, especially dealing with the loss of Vicki. Still have so much to learn though...
Post a Comment