Thursday, May 26, 2011

An Open Letter

Dear Couch to 5k,
     Just like many a new relationship, you sucked me in with the easiness of little joyous moments.  A walk here, a run there, no stress, just happiness.  And then, too deep into you to turn back, AKA week 5, you switched gears on me.  You became demanding.  From five minutes to eight?
     I avoided your "day two" until last night, should have met with you in the morning, but that 8, that 8 was too daunting.  Avoided you until after nightfall, when I climbed on the treadmill and started going.  My feet hurt, my lungs burned, but I got through the first 8.  The walk saved me.  Then the next 8 came.  I swear on all that is pop culture, if the men of Idol hadn't performed their little hearts out with a Tom Jones medley just then, I may have given up.  But they did, and it was bouncy and corny enough to keep me going, and then the old geezer himself came out all gray and tan and suave, and I was distracted enough to, well, run.
     So there.  You thought you had me, but I. Had. You.
     Kicked your 8 minute butt with my stodgy ol' gal running.
     Now, can someone tell me how to make the next jump?  Tomorrow, "day three," I'm meant to run for 20.  Twenty.  My orthotics are already weeping.  Can I flunk this week and start it again?  Take an incomplete and repeat?  Bask in the glow of the 8 before I'm slammed with the 20?
     I am not an athlete, but I want to be a runner.
With love and fear,
ellie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this! I am starting today.. And actually I am a runner...well use to be! But you are jumping from 8 minutes to 20? Yikes I am scared! Have a nice day and whatever you do don't dwell on the upcoming 20 minutes all day!

Rebecca Jo said...

I was so laughing at this. Glad Tom Jones & the AI guys pulled you through :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

betty said...

you go girl! that is wonderful! I did hear that couch to 5K was a great program to get one to be a runner. Keep up the good work with it!! And to exercise at night, that wins points with me too! If I don't hit the gym first thing in the morning, I have no motivation to do it later in the day.

WTG to you! enjoy the day and the 20 minutes!!!

betty

Stacy said...

You go! I am impressed (and inspired) by your dedication even though I don't, haven't and won't run. Even when I was an athlete I hated running. I will wave flags and be your cheerleader. You can do it!

Daenel T. said...

Laughing while cheering. Way to go, lady! You can do it.

purejoy said...

my orthotics are crying and i don't even WEAR orthotics! i think i'm going to maybe start doing interval training. walk a minute, run two. then walk a minute run three… every few days increase and then increase the number of repetitions. that's how she's been running her half and full marathons. she's doing fantastic! and so are you!!
an inspiration, I tell ya!

Anonymous said...

Run, Ellie, run!

Darlene said...

‎"Just one More!" Minute? Mile?

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm still working up to getting off the couch!

Kayla said...

I will tell you this.

It's. All. Mental.

Your body (which I imagine is pretty healthy) can run for 20 minutes, it can. If you were being chased, your body would continue on past 20 minutes. So the real difficulty here is telling your brain to shut up. And that's pretty much the hardest thing of all.

Believe me, I've been there. lol It's daunting (SOO daunting), but really very rewarding. Might I suggest a supremely timed workout playlist to accompany you? I tend to find really long songs (American Pie) make the time go by faster, because i focus on reciting the lyrics.

I also can't believe you prefer the treadmill. I go insane of boredom on the treadmill, even for only short periods of time. How people train for marathons on treadmills in the winter, totally boggles me mind. But I'm glad your finding success!

Maybe I'll give this program a shot. I've found it really hard to get back into running, without a team of fun girls and an annoying coach to motivate me. Maybe..

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I used to say, "I never run unless chased, and I'm never chased." Hm, so apparently the key to running is to pretend I'm being chased...

As for running inside, well, when I lived in Naperville, I was in a great subdivision that wasn't heavily trafficked. I walked a three mile to six mile course there all year long. But here, there is more traffic, and in winter it is too treacherous to be outside. So we bought a treadmill.

When I was only walking, I'd read a book in three treadmill sessions. Now I run a bit, and so I find something mindless on TV and go to it.

I shall charge the ipod and sing along. Now, where is my ipod?

If you get through 20 minutes before me, don't tell me. Something tells me Kayla that you could jump right into week five!