Monday, June 20, 2011

I Don't Get It, But You Might

    Way back when, when it was in the theaters, I went to see the movie Fargo.  I didn't get it.  There was not one redeeming character in the movie, and I didn't find it funny at all.  I related this fact to a co-worker who decided he needed to school me on why this movie was so great.  I found I didn't agree.  And, I got the feeling he thought I was incredibly unhip and stupid. I was okay with that.
     It's kind of like the whole, "It's an acquired taste," thing.  If I don't like something the first time I eat/drink it, why would I want to work at acquiring the liking of it?  I have never "gotten" that concept.
     Anyway, I've decided to compile a list of things I don't "get."  It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them or if you "get" them there's something wrong with you, no need to get defensive, 'k?  Chances are  the fault lies with me.


Ellie Doesn't Get:
Survivor 
 (I did like Jeff Probst on Rock and Rock Jeopardy)

The Shack
(yeah, and I'm a Christ Follower)
Sonic
(the fast food, not the hedgehog)
beer
The Simpsons
(sometimes I get it)
Twilight 
 (the book, I have not seen the movie)
designer purses
fake nails
(MANY of my friends have them, remember I'm NOT judging)
football
Shakespeare
(yet I got an A in college Shakespeare class)
CSI
pinterest
twitter
(Who would want to know that much about my doings?)
red wine
smooth jazz concerts
scrapbooking

     I am not putting any of these things down, they just aren't things I feel a need for in my life.  If you enjoy them, I'm okay with that. 
But now the Question of the Week...
What's on your list?  
What is wildly popular with others but makes no sense to you?
     If you reply with running (slowly), bundt cake making, knitting, Real Housewives, or any of my silly passions, I will understand.  I won't try to tell you why it's good and worthwhile, and I will love you nonetheless!

Yes, yes, it's an awful picture--hard to take a snap of my own head!

21 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

Did you get that headband from the store I told you about? I found it via a recommendation someone made on twitter. It's way more than status updates but it does have a learning curve.

Ummm my list would be topped by C25K, Insanity, Shredding, and all other forms of physical torture in pursuit of fitness! Though I can handle a recumbent bike, water aerobics and walking. :)

My Word Verification word is Pubmance. That just screams for a definition!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

C25K was just what I needed to get started, although its latter intervals were impossible for me, I'm getting there.

And yep, the headband is the one you suggested!

I would love to own a recumbent bike, stationary or road worthy. My husband could use one too.

If we live closer, I'd walk with you!

Stacy said...

Survivor is a joke...there are people, food, and doctors around them. Drop them on some island and go away...I'd get that concept.

I have issues with The Shack (though I just gave it to my d-i-l). I think some of it is good, but some of it is reeeeeally new agey to me.

I signed up for Twitter, but confess I'm not getting it yet.

The concept that texting is easier than talking to a real person.

NASCAR

And I'll say running, but you can add Toby Keith to your list if you want. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh this is interesting...

Twilight
Glee
dieting
not running

I am sure there are more... I am just really really tired tonight!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Glee! I forgot about Glee.

And so far, I do not text. But I think that will change, against my will, but for valid reasons.

Kayla! said...

I agree with so many on your list!
Twilight (Glorifying obsessive relationships?)
Designer Purses (I love me a cute purse, the name/label makes no difference)
Fake Nails (I don't like long nails, period.)
Football (Except for the Pack!)
Red Wine (White Wine is 100X more delicious)
Scrapbooking (Kind of.. I'm a crafter at heart.. but I find scrapbooking painfully dull.)

Other things I don't get--
-Trying to meet the love of your life at a bar/while obliterated
-Video Games
-Yoga
-Gin
-Twitter
-Bridezillas
-Politics
-Apartment Hunting (Ok, maybe I'm being snarky on that one)

Things I get, that others may not-- :)

- Texting: I like the option to text. I DO NOT like how people use texting exclusively, or ignore me because they are too busy texting.
- Glee: Though the second season, in my opinion, was yucky.
-Country music: Because it's easy to like.
-Saving money: Seems like my friends don't "get" the benefit of that one :)

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Hah! This is fun :)

Things I don't "get":

-Glee
-Twilight (books or movies. Refuse.)
-Ikea
-Spending a cent more for something than you absolutely have to
-Thinking that every single eastern/Asian culture is automatically superior to American or western European culture
-Movies that are cool just because they glorify a drug or skank culture. Sideways comes to mind.

Okay, I think I'm done... ;)

agnes said...

doh... there are stuff on your list that i get. :)

my list that i can think of:
-any pet that is not a dog or cat
-paying for fancy coffee drinks
-ebook readers
-really high cotton thread count sheets
-vitamin water
- and many more....

Traci Marie Wolf said...

he he I think it's great that you're taking a stand and not doing something just because EVERYONE does. My list.....

*Jersey Shore
*King of the Hill
*Family Guy (sometimes)
*People who don't use their blinker when driving
*Anime
*Bones (the show)
*Football
*Smoking marijuana
*Vicodin (my mom gave me some once for a toothache and I was high for 2 days, it was horrible
*The Lottery/Slot Machines
*Superiority complexes
* IN N'OUT (the burger place, not a fan)
*Blue Cheese
*Seafood

I think I can go on and on.
Thanks for the invite, that was kind of liberating.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I'm in agreement with almost everything, but I do scrapbook and I love NFL football. Oh and yes, running is on my list... I have tried that and even ran a 5K and I JUST.DON'T.GET.IT!

Tina via email said...

Last summer when visiting my brother and sis-in-law in Louisville, we saw signs about party/picnic type events that were held in cemeteries.We asked them about it and it was true! Maybe I'd have to actually attend one to try to "get" it but I have no desire. It makes me laugh every time I think about it!

You don't like red wine, huh?

ALI said...

This is a bit dated, but life around my home is less hip & more 3-year-old friendly... :)

Things I don't "get":

*Reality TV - in general, I have not found 1 R-TV show that is not complete trash

*Tabloids

*dated, but Friends (the TV show)

*Major League Sports mattering at the end of the day (watching for enjoyment I get, but actually being depressed b/c your team lost - don't get it)

Megan said...

Things I don't get:

Twilight
Ultimate Fighting
All sports
The craze about sports
Having a super fancy cell phone
Lord of the Rings trilogy and movies
Comic books
Texting
Cats
Video games
Camping
Beer
Nail pops (ha, that one was for Brad)
Text language--ex. LOL
Monster trucks
Low riders
Nascar

I'm sure there's more...

Megan said...

I forgot a few:

The Kardashians
Any Lohan
Britney Spears

Rebecca Jo said...

That is hilarious!! I'm cracking up reading everyone else's also!

For me - I will say - Pinterest - I've learned to love it for photography ideas. Poses to remember when I do my own photo shoots. See? its handy!

My #1 thing I dont get - Jersey Shore!!!
VH1 - (What happened to you good ole video channel)

Huge bash parties for a 2 year old
Ryan Secrest
Living rooms that you dont use
tanning

Daenel T. said...

Love the picture. Too cute.

Things I don't get:

Anything vampire related
Pinterest
Decaf coffee
District 9 ~ that movie was AWFUL (yet some of my friends said they cried)

purejoy said...

I like your list… I don't get Sonic either. Their food is horrible. But their drinks are wildly popular.

Stuff I don't get:
Desperate Housewives
Survivor (zzzzz)
Family Guy
Simpsons
yellow mustard
braille on ATMs
why Orbit gum is glued into the package like they never want you to EVER get it out and chew it. grrrr.
plastic packaging that results in having to destroy a) the packaging b) your fingernails and c) the product to get it out.
big hair
loafers w/o socks

fun list and yay on all of your readers!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Oh my gosh this was fun! And I love you all because no one was offended, and you sure didn't offend me!

I would make a list of all the things that made me laugh as I read your lists, but that would include just about everything! Either I laughed because it was true, or I laughed because you EVEN thought of it.

Too, too fun. My confession for being soooo unhip paid off!

Love to you all!

Deborah Benjamin said...

shoes

Jane said...

Things I don't get? Hmmm.....

Any type of e-reader although I may be weakening.

Stupid reality shows - generally all the ones that involve large groups of people like American Idol, America's Got Talent, Survivor, or anything with college-aged kids (since I do like The biggest Loser, Pawn Stars, The Voice, Antique Restoration and the one with the 3 ladies that run an antique store).

Twitter (although I like Facebook)

The vampire craze

Little girls dressed up like teenagers (what do they have to look forward to?)

I'm sure there are more, its just that its late.

Mac said...

Everything.