Monday, August 29, 2011

Magzaine Stand (Q of the W)

     I like magazines.  For a long time I subscribed to People, but then I realized it was too expensive, and I found I just didn't care about many of the folks featured--I don't watch WB shows or vampire movies--so I did not renew.  I love Vanity Fair, and Mac bought a two year subscription for me, but even though the articles are very well written, I just didn't have time to read them.  So I didn't renew.  Brad likes Oprah and I don't, so that one didn't get renewed.  I found it was too O centered and too much about acquiring stuff.  (I always think posting anti-Oprah things is going to get me hit by some O loving mob.  Frightening thought.)
     For my flight home from Louisiana earlier this month, I realized the reading material I had left wasn't going to cut it.  I had two theology books, and airports and planes are too noisy for much deep reading.  So I perused the newsstand and bought a copy of a magazine I hadn't ever picked up before.
Turned out to be perfect for someone who runs like Phoebe....

     I thoroughly enjoyed this magazine.  Yes, it was about stuff, but there were also some good articles.  Some fluff, some depth. (A great article on all the plastic garbage floating in the oceans.)  When I got home, I mailed off the subscription card.  I'm looking forward to the next issue, and I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.  Admittedly, this is a splurge, when we cut the budget, magazines are the first to go.
     So, my questions for this week are so not deep:  
What magazines do you buy often or subscribe to?  
What do you like about them?  
Are there any you're too old for, other than Seventeen?
Am I the only one who reads magazines any more? 

By the way, I haven't written "green" lately, but I recycle my magazines by placing them with paper or by leaving them in the teachers' lounge.  You?

(I'm too old for Glamour, Cosmo grosses me out, Vogue was always other worldly to me, I still grab Woman's Day or Family Circle at the checkout from time to time--they make me think of my mom,  People is still a guilty pleasure...)

9 comments:

ALI said...

I love Paula Deen! I'll sometimes pick up Rachael Ray if her recipes look really good.

Beyond that I do subscribe to InStyle, however, I'm starting to wonder if I'm not aged out... Or life'd out... It focuses on things that would matter if I worked downtown, but here in the suburbs? In a manufacturing environment? Yeah, not so much...

Stacy said...

I love MORE, but I let the subscription go and just pick it up now and then when I see it. I read Family Circle and Woman's Day and now and then Lady's Home Journal or Redbook. I always get Country Sampler and most of the time, Country Living. The one magazine I never miss these days and am going to subscribe to as soon as I remember is All You. It's put out by Wal-mart and you can only buy it at the store as far as I know. TONS of coupons (that you can use anywhere) and articles for "real" people.

Sam | Away She Went said...

My mom subscribes to People, so I get the issues when she's done reading them. I don't subscribe to any magazines myself, but somehow Shape magazine has been showing up in my mailbox...I won't complain about free magazines though!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I don't subrscribe to any magazines, but if a cover or headline catches my eye I will purchase it.

Debbie H-R said...

For about 5 years, I had a subscription to Food and Wine magazine and I have prepared many good meals using many many of their recipes. I don't have the subscription any more 'cuz I saved all the old issues when I realized they sort of "recycled" a lot of the recipes using different spices and herbs and gave them different names ,,, but it was still rack of lamb or roasted chicken, just with varying degrees of garlic and rosemary! "Rack of Lamb Provencale" and "Rack of Lamb with roasted garlic and rosemary crust" is the same thing, but one appears in the "French"-themed issue and the other appears in the "New York, New York"-themed issue. Crafty little devils, those Food & Wine editors! :)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Like you, most of my subscriptions are gifts. Right now I get Healthy Cooking, Better Homes & Gardens and Good Housekeeping...all from my mom. I rarely have time to read them, but of those, probably enjoy BH&G the best. My favorite ever was Cottage Living which was a branch of Southern Living, but they don't publish it anymore. Gosh I miss that one!

Pam C said...

Food Network Magazine is the only one I buy. I used to buy Rachael Ray, but found it was not worth it. Too much "stuff" besides the cooking part.

Kayla said...

My Grandma loves magazines, and she always gets free subscriptions, that she signs me up for. She rarely tells me, so I get random magazines ALL the time.

My favorite is Better Homes and Gardens. I cut out pictures and put them in a binder of "home" things that I love, so I have some inspiration when I have my own home one day. I'm such a DIYer, so I've already mimicked some of the furniture and design items.

My friends get Cosmo, I flip through occasionally and I think it is the exact same magazine every month, but they change around the numbers. And it's quite crass and too fashiony.

Justin gets Consumer Report, and I am strangely fascinated by it.

My Mom gets People, and I read them because it keeps me fresh for Team Trivia nights at area bars/restaurants (There is money to be made!). Knowing an obscene amount about celebrity marriages and divorces HAS actually paid off for me!

Thriftanista in the City said...

I subscribe to lucky, threads, yoga journal, and ready made. Only because I gotbthem for free. I can find all the stuff in magazines online so it just feels like a waste and I always end up with more clutter.