Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What's Your Drink Wednesday (Q of the W)

I'm not a big drinker.  Brad doesn't drink at all (never has). And like many things related to entertaining and kitchen stuff--I'm pretty clueless about alcohol.  I tend to know more what I don't like than what I like. My drink repertoire consists of: fruity sangria, chardonnays, spiked hot chocolate (winter only) and margaritas.  In my 20s, my drink was an amaretto and soda--kind of Dr. Pepper-y.  I rely on and thoroughly enjoy the standby of a classic frozen margarita, but I don't branch out much.  Last week I tried a vodka-cranberry, meh.  And lately I've tried some "skinny" margaritas, and TGI Friday's skinny blackberry margarita.  (Yeah, it's the closest restaurant to our house, so we go there too often.) I get a kick out of the seeds in my straw.  What can I tell you, sometimes I'm fascinated by six-year-old giggle fodder.

In a blog post about her birthday, my friend Stacy wrote about having a watermelon margarita.  While couch sitting last night, I realized I had a bit of mix, tequila, and some fresh cut watermelon.  So I threw it all together in our blender with some crushed ice and, ta da!

 What a delight.  Sometimes I surprise myself!

So here are my questions of the week--
When you imbibe, what's your favorite beverage?  Do you always go for the same?  What have you tried lately that was new to you and good?


8 comments:

ALI said...

Sangria.

When I was younger, I enjoyed a drink a whole lot more often... Now, it is a very rare occassion & I've found if I don't go for the weak, then I lose my head.

Connie said...

More often than not I like a simple glass of wine. If I'm going the cocktail direction, it will likely be a martini of some kind.

Daenel T. said...

A simple glass of wine every 6 months or so... I'm not a big drinker. I think I got it all out of my system when I was younger.

Sam | Away She Went said...

Your watermelon margarita looks amazing! If I'm at a bar I usually order vodka-cranberry-OJ and I always get margaritas (on the rocks, no salt) with my mexican food. I like the Pomegranate Margarita at Applebee's too. And you can never go wrong with sangria!

Beth Zimmerman said...

When I imbibe (which is an exceedingly rare occasion) I enjoy a Berry Margarita or Daiquiri. I also like Pina Coladas but haven't had one in forever.

Debbie H-R said...

I've nearly replicated an orange-flavored libation that we discovered at Epcot last fall ,,, mandarin vodka, simple syrup, triple sec, splash of frangelica and double splash of orange juice. Mix it up in a pitcher and place in the freezer and then next day, scoop the slushy mixture into a margarita-shaped glass and voila! Not the Mr Misty of our childhood days, for sure!

Karin said...

I've had wine - it doesn't like me! In southern Germany I had a drink of beer and some sort of soda - very refreshing! I tend to stick with tea, coffee or hot chocolate in the winter months! Enjoy!!

Pam C said...

Cucumber mojito with Effen Cucumber vodka!