I didn't try sour cream until I was in my 20s. Hello, cream gone bad? Cream cheese until my 30s. Guacamole? Green and soft gush? 30s. Carrot cake, 30s. Tomato soup? My 40s. Asparagus, perhaps three years ago...The idea of some foods just really is/was repellent to me. (However these are all tries and LIKES--in other words, I've been making up for their absence in my life ever since!
Now some things I have tried and don't like:
seafood
lake food (fresh water fish)
cooked fruit--really baked fruit
coconut
red wine
beer
coffee
Recently, while discussing my fussiness, I divulged to some other adults that I have never had beets. I have to be certain that you know this was an adult discussion because kids totally get my picky tendencies especially when it comes to veggies.The other three people who were part of this conversation were floored. (However, no one said, "Oh, but they're so good!")
Beets? Never?
Never. Am I missing out?
So, my questions to you, in all seriousness are:
Do you like beets?
Do you buy them fresh?
How do you prepare them?
(on the outside they look like radishes, but on the inside not so much...)
Who knows, maybe it's time to branch out! Or, maybe it's time to find out that Brad doesn't like them and I can stay in my little beet free whole forever!



10 comments:
I don't think you're missing out. The only way I'll eat them is pickled on a salad...and I'd rather eat the eggs pickled with them than the actual beets.
*I'm getting a Brazilian Blow Out this morning to straighten my curls and eliminate frizz for the next 3-4 months. I'll let you know how it turns out.
OKay...so, you might not trust my advice, since I very much enjoy many of the foods on your "yeah, not so much" list (except beer. It's liquid bread. ick.).
But I wasn't much of a beet girl myself. But when Ryan and I were in Saint Louis this summer, we ate at this fantabulous little restaurant called Niche, where Ryan ordered a beet soup as an appetizer, and it was gorgeous: a cold soup with a cream base, clovers and greens and diced up veggies with a scoop of beet sorbet (Yes. You read that right.). I had "skeptical face" but when Ryan and I tried it, it was heavenly. So I'm going to maybe give beets another shot. And they are so good for you.
I'm not a beet eater. Blech.
I'm a big beet fan! They're really good for you with antioxidants and lycopenes and other nerdy nutritional reasons to enjoy them - or to at least try them!
I usually buy them from the farmers' market (like in the picture above). You can cut off the leaves to use in salads - they're a bit bitter but they have the wild greens taste if you like that - and then I just trim and scrub the root part, toss them in a pot, cover them with water, boil them until just tender and eat them with just a dash of salt and pepper.
Now the really wacky story behind the last time I made beets comes with a "Try this at your own risk" warning. See, I cooked some up for dinner and after they were done boiling I had a cooking pot mostly filled with this beautiful bright red water. Being the adventurous (read: crazy) science girl that I am, I decided to save the water for use as my in-between-colorings hair dye. I can't aver that it was actually an intelligent idea but after a week of using it as a rinse in the shower at least three people asked if I highlighted my hair so I inadvertently found that beets also function as a bit of an organic dye, too!
I love beets, especially pickled. And they are very good for you, especially all those Type 2 diabetes out there. The greens are good in soup. I think I've always like almost everything, but my mom always told a cute story. When she was little the milk man delivered the milk, also the cottage cheese. It came in a big vat and he dipped out what you wanted. I'm not sure if you provided your own container. My mother said the thought of cottage cheese made her gag and she never ate it. Years later, cottage cheese was a favorite of her and she regretted not having eaten the freshly made product delivered by the milk man. She was convinced it had to have been a superior product. :)
I love cottage cheese!
Actually, after having read the cottage cheese story, I decided to share that I actually like cold beets (sliced) fromt the can with cottage cheese. And I love pickled beets. I have never had fresh beets ,,, only the canned ones. there are only three things I've ever tried that I do not like: calves liver (don't tell me about carmelized onions and ketchup and stuff ,,, fell for that one a few times with my dad ,,, DOESN'T CHANGE THE FLAVOR OF THE LIVER!!), canned peas and buttermilk (use buttermilk as an ingredient, but straight?? ugh! dad used to drink it once in awhile! yuck times a gajillion!!)
DHR, you make me laugh!
I've had pickled beets, but that is it. And I can say, I'd pass on them before grabbing even though they are not bad. Just not my thing.
If you want to try something else, I've gotten into Kohlrabi this summer. Awesome raw with some olive oil & lemon juice.
I’ve never had a beet! And never really plan to.
Post a Comment