Someone convinced me to do this a while back because, "You're a good writer, you love to talk about God, and setting up a blog is easy."
So I did.
But that doesn't mean I'm a techie--setting up a blog IS easy. That's as techie as I get. (BTW, writing about God is hard. And I'm not so convinced I'm a good writer. This post isn't about God. See previous post.) Techie stuff (beyond blogging), well, it escapes me. (So it's extra funny that I am on the IT committee for our school district. I'm certain that's fodder for another post. I wonder if I'll be able to post while at IT meetings?)
Anyway...
Last week, my husband replaced my almost five-year-old flip phone which I used only for calling people (mostly just him and Mac) with whatever-version-iPhone-was-free-because-they're-bringing- out-whatever-version-iPhone-is-next. I have to mention here that I received my new old phone on the same day Steve Jobs died. My son says I'm responsible for Mr. Jobs' death. Yeah, that's how tech inept he thinks I am. Techie Armageddon.
Anyway again, Brad handed me this phone, and I was quick to realize (with his help as I didn't even know how to turn it on), that NONE of my numbers were transferred. Fortunately I know Brad's and Mac's numbers by heart, so I was good for a few days.
Come Saturday morning, I was determined to figure this thing out. I know this is easy for the rest of you, but here's what I learned:
- How to enter contacts (purged some).
- How to set up a new iTunes account.
- How to pick a ring tone, "How Great is Our God," for most, "Broken Road" for Brad, and I think some Oasis song for Mac. That one's undecided.
- Then I played with the camera (at school on Friday, my kids said they'd help me, but I did want to try myself before asking a nine-year-old for help.)
- Posted one facebook status update.
- That night at church, while waiting to learn how to serve communion, I purchased my first app, the NLT version of the Bible! (Of this I am proud.)
- Set the font on the app to a size I can read.
- Then, I realized I was waiting in the wrong spot for communion training when I figured out how to access my gmail and read. "meet at the beverage station," when I was in fact standing by the cafe.
- Hustled across the atrium to find someone who would know where to find the person I was supposed to have met for training, keeping my gmail open to show said person's name!
- Served communion (I know that's not tech stuff, but it's God stuff which IS more important)
- Used said Bible app during the pastor's message.
- Took the above picture of the communion table...must learn more about camera settings.
Bought a new welcome mat. Convenient that all our names start with S, don't you agree? Hoping this one doesn't blow away.
Took care of my neglected pansies and planted one more mum plant.
Refilled the counter candy jar of our fall display.
Those mellocreme pumpkins (just bought on Saturday) are almost gone, so I think that jar isn't long for the counter (it's been filled three times and there are only two people living here, do the math). However, Brad is not above taking the candle out, the base out, and swiping candy from the candle holder...
Those mellocreme pumpkins (just bought on Saturday) are almost gone, so I think that jar isn't long for the counter (it's been filled three times and there are only two people living here, do the math). However, Brad is not above taking the candle out, the base out, and swiping candy from the candle holder...
Darned if I do, darned if I don't.
Finished a mini wreath for school.
(And got a great idea for kids' Xmas gifts to their parents...mini-er wreaths! Found a great web site for them.)
Moved my maxi-yarn wreath (yes, I'm taking maxi back) from the door to the basement bannister, added a bow, loving the new location for it, and hung last year's bat wreath (which I still like) on the back door.
Started a pumpkin project. We'll see if you'll see them when done...
Sometimes a walk outside is a great idea (versus the treadmill)!
Paid some attention to my inside mums.
Walked about ten miles all totaled, wintered some geraniums, added worms to the compost bin, napped, took in a movie with my favorite man, and no one, not all weekend, called me
Miss Stewart.
The break I needed. Putter time.
I'm starting to miss my kids, and this is a good sign, and I do have some homework to do for the week...but not yet.
Right now, I'm savoring simple pleasures.
How was/is your weekend?
How was/is your weekend?


9 comments:
After working for the IT department at my university, I've seen lots of levels of tech inept. If you've done all you said you have, you are among the many who are NOT inept.
I also am going to have to make some mini wreaths. Yours turned out too cute! Can't wait to see your pumpkins too! :)
I'm about to make the switch to a smartphone too, but likely a Droid - I think I may manage to be the last person on the planet to own an iPhone/Pod/Pad or other Apple device.
And a random note about your door mat - I like that the initial "S" never looks upside down whether you're coming or leaving by the front door!
I too am inept with technology! I can do enough to just get by! Can't wait to see what you are doing with your pumpkins and your wreaths are so cute!
Sounds like you had a relaxing weekend and now tomorrow we will all be heading back to school. Have a great week!
Good for you! I just got Megan a smart phone on Friday and have to admit after talking to the salesman and seeing what it can do...I'm wanting one myself. It will have to wait for now, though. We have both kids on our plan and they both have smart phones which require and extra $30/month/each for data usage, which they are supposed to pay for....unfortunately once you have it, you are stuck till the contract is up. No shutting it off till they pay. :/ We're telling Matt when his contract is up he's off the plan. He's 25. I think it's past time. And then, maybe, I can get one.
I LOVE the vase of pine cones and mini-pumpkins! So cute! I can't keep candy sitting around either! Sigh ...
Proud of you for tackling your new tool head on! I still can't figure out how to purposely do some of the smart phone functions that i accidentally do when it's in my pocket! :)
BTW ... look for the You Version Bible app (from LifeChurch.tv) -free - lots of offline versions and even more online. I LOVE it!
Great job! You are like my mom & picking up iPhone apps quicker than me...
Look at all your fall decorations!!! So lovely... so YUMMY! All that candy! I LOOOOVVEEE those candy pumpkins. more then I should!
love your doormat too!
I have an OLD OLD school phone so when I get a new smart phone, I'll be clueless!
Whew!! What a weekend! So good to get things accomplished. So proud of you! Love your vase with the pinecones and pumpkins. Love the colors and your pansies and mums are beautimous!
Yay! You've done well, lady! I love getting new phones and learning how to operate them (I'm nerdy that way). The hubs just got an iPhone about 2 months ago and he loves it.
Post a Comment