skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Today
This morning, I read this facebook status of a good friend of mine:
"Ate at Parkside Grill with the boys tonite (Monday night basketball… for them, not for me). Missed our regular server, "Sarah," and got a very beige, uninterested guy. Not a fan of the apathetic serving technique. If you don't like your job, find something else to do!"
My first reaction was, "Yeah!" Immediately following that was the realization that I didn't like my job yesterday. In fact, I wanted to just walk out of my classroom and not return. Part of me wanted to write to my friend and say, "Hey cut him some slack," or "Walk in his shoes," or some similar namby-pamby reply. I wanted to tell her, "I had a crap day yesterday--can't even pinpoint why, but I am not going to and can't quit my job."
Why am I confessing this? Because beyond yesterday, I am having a tough year. Because I can't share details here other than to say I'm working harder than I ever have before, due to many circumstances. Working harder even than my first year of teaching when I had a class of 29.
So that's how my day started, and I can't say it got much better. But I can say, though it was a tough day, and though my heart hurts, I found some things to laugh about. Thank God, literally, for laughter.
Can't share those stories either. Not for confidentiality reasons, but because they wouldn't translate here.
Here's hoping, namby-pamby as it is, that my friend's server found something to giggle over today.
10 comments:
And I don't know why my font is so small. Tried to change it, but couldn't. After this day, that's NOT going to bug me.
:)
I heard a speaker once who suggested that when confronted with a server like that...ask their name, introduce yourself and tell them you were just about to pray before you eat and ask them if there is anything you can pray about for them. Most of the time they will probably brush it off or giggle nervously, but once in a while it will open a flood-gate and a story will come spilling out. Moral: don't condemn someone without knowing their story. That grouchy mood may be how they cope with a bad situation.
Love what Stacy said and was going to say the same thing. If this happens again with the same waiter, I would address it with the manager. I hope the manager observed the waiter's behavior and is available to help this person grow in doing a better job!
But Ladies,
The server wasn't really the point of the post...
love,
ellie
We are all allowed bad days one in a while, but it is a sweet comfort to always know the deep joy that is under it all!
I totally agree! I would love to go back to school & become a nurse, but the fact is - I carry our health insurance. I have great health insurance. Even changing companies is not really feasible b/c my health coverage (both in actual cost & coverage) is very rare in today's world.
On my really rough days (either hating my job or feeling extreme working mommy guilt) I have to remind myself why I work & why it matters.
It may not always work, but maybe thinking about those will help you... Because I know, whether it feels like it or not, you DO help the kids every day by just being there.
That's one of the reasons that I love my cats. They come running when I wake up and when I come home. They crawl in my lap and nuzzle my chin. They make me laugh with their silly antics. My husband is not as enamored by them as I am but ... I think God gave them to me for such a time as this! Because He knew I would need laughter and cuddles and some one to be excited when I'm around!
Sorry for your bad day! But you are so right we all have bad days and can't walk away from our jobs. I always wonder what someone is going through when they are like the waiter. We never know! I do know that I love my job but there are days when I truly do not like it! LOL Remember tomorrow is a new day!
Christmas holidays aren't too far away, are they? Hang in there!
Sorry that you're struggling with work, and sorry that it takes me a month to catch up on reading your blog.
Funny I should read this now… we had that same server on Monday night. He was just as beige as always. He's not having a bad day… he just is not a good server. For him it's just a job. He's a waiter {as in we wait}
For Sarah, it's an opportunity to serve. She takes genuine joy in taking care of our needs. She cares.
You are that kind of person, El. You care. And because you care… it takes that much more energy to teach. Because I know you… it's not a job. It's a service. Thanks for loving well.
Post a Comment