skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Day Sixteen
I am writing my 30 Days of Thankful on facebook because I just didn't think I could post here each day of November.
This one, though, calls for a post there and here.
Day 16 of Thankful: Medical research scientists.
I am thankful for people like Lisa Baker Guerrero who work each day to eradicate the diseases that damage and take lives.
All cancers WILL end.
Heart disease will dissipate as we continue to learn from experts how to better take care of ourselves.
Alzheimer's will be beaten down.
Depression will be seen as a sickness, not a state of mind, and be treated as such.
These are the illnesses that have deeply touched my family and friends.
Feel free to add your own.
Feel free to pray for these dedicated folks.
5 comments:
Amen.
Well said. Thankful for modern medical miracles. A friend just birthed a 19 oz 25 week old baby boy. He's a fighter. Wouldn't be alive without modern technology.
So even though I blushed and gushed on your facebook page, I'll leave a note of thanks and appreciation here too. Partly because I know you love comments, and partly because I do enjoy talking about my work.
Not sure if I ever shared the story with you but one of my first years on the job I attended a lecture given by a world renowned cancer researcher (who is sadly now deceased) Dr. Judah Folkman. He was giving a speech about a new drug in clinical trials and many other researchers were negatively critiquing his data. The study showed a two-month increase in cancer patient survival and the vocal criticisms were along the lines of "Is two months really significant?" and "what kind of quality of life are they really getting with just two months?"
I still remember Dr. Folkman held up his hand and shook his head at the back and forth from the audience members and said, "This is a first step. In 1903 the Wright brothers took a trip that lasted twelve seconds and went about forty yards ten feet off the ground. People said that a flight of that magnitude would never be worth anything. And sixty years later we put a man on the moon. It's always about taking the first steps."
Medical research can be a bleak and challenging road but it's a marathon not a sprint. Here's to everyone taking - and supporting those taking - the very first steps.
An excellent thing for which to be thankful and a gentle reminder that has me counting my blessings.
I've loved reading your thankful posts each day, even if I don't have time to comment.
Post a Comment