Friday, November 25, 2011

Mom's Photo

I've kept this photo handy with the intention to scan it for months now.  I was going to wait to post it closer to Christmas, but then yesterday,  on Thanksgiving, an acquaintance of mine died.  I was sad for her kids, and in a way Julie died on an anniversary I was not celebrating--the 20th anniversary of my mom's death.  I am still so thankful for Mom, so I scanned the picture and included it on facebook as part of my month of thankfulness status posts.  It just seemed like the right day to do so.

My mom died suddenly on November 28, 1991--technically the anniversary is on Monday. But that year it was on a Thursday, and it was also about an hour or so into Thanksgiving.  So you can see why Julie's death was, well, familiar to me.  We opted to meet as a family that day, to not spread the news because though we were in great shock, we didn't want to bruise any other hearts on a day devoted to joy.

But that's not what I'm writing about today, not really.

Today I'm writing about a ring.  I'm writing about this particular photograph.

My mom gained weight throughout her marriage to my dad.  She had to stop wearing her wedding set because it no longer fit.  She didn't trust jewelers, but then my friend Gerry started working for one. So, in 1989,  my dad and I sneaked her ring set to Gerry to be resized, and my dad also bought my mom an anniversary band--one that I picked out, that's how he shopped!

The photo is of her opening the box with the band.  The wedding set came next.  She loved them both, and she wore them for almost two years--the wedding set on her left hand, the gold and diamond band on her right.  When she died, my sister got my mom's wedding set, and I was gifted with the anniversary band.  I had it sized and wore it on my right ring finger until I met Brad.

When we decided to get married, I asked him if I could wear it as my wedding band, and when he agreed, silver-loving me went out with him looking for a yellow gold engagement ring.  Solitaire found, we announced our engagement.

My left ring finger is more slender than my right, so the band had to be resized again. When we took it to the very same jeweler, we were told it was too fragile after 16 years of daily wear to amend to that degree.  So I had to pick out a new band.

I selected something similar, and we ordered it.  When we returned to pick up the new ring, it was pretty, but it wasn't Mom's.  They gave me the carcass of her old ring in a tiny plastic bag, and I walked away from the counter and wept by a corner display.

You have to know me.  I don't cry much over "stuff," but this really upset me.  Getting married to a lovely man without either of my parents was hard, and I think this just pushed me over the bridal edge--though in every other way I was a completely laid back bride.

That Christmas, 2007, I opened my gifts and found that Brad had taken a piece of jewelry he owned and extracted diamonds from it.  He took the carcass of Mom's ring back to the store and had them fashion the old ring into two earrings that hold those stones. Again, I found myself crying over "stuff," but this time I cried happy tears.

There's no picture of me with my earrings from that morning, and I'm not going to take one for this post.  But I am going to tell you that 20 years after her death, I carry my mom with me.  I think of her daily.  I talk about her all the time.  And I know she would approve of the soft-hearted man I married.

I also know she'd be really mad at me for posting her photo (in her housecoat!) for all to see.

9 comments:

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

What a beautiful story, photo and memory. A wonderful tribute. What a wonderful way to underscore that you picked the right man!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful

SunnySue said...

A lovely story, Ellie. Your mom must have been a wonderful woman.

Jane said...

A wonderful tribute to your mom. I have to admit it made me cry. But then the gaping wound left by my own mother's death February 2010 is still pretty raw. It doesn't take much.

Gretchen said...

What a beautiful, sweet testament to your mom! I love this story and Brad is such a sweetheart to be so thoughtful.

Amy said...

Lovely story. Sometimes "stuff" isn't just stuff. Sometimes it's our tangible connection to something precious.

Kayla said...

I **love** ring stories like this :)

When people say things like "What is a wedding ring really? It's just a piece of metal, it doesn't make a marriage." Well, it surely does not. But it is most certainly a wonderful, beautiful symbol of so many things from love and commitment to family and legacy.

As someone who has already inherited some family jewelry, and I stand to inherit much more (as a result of being the only daughter and granddaughter), I value their meaning immensely. Often they aren't the biggest, flashiest or most expensive, but I love that if someone asks about a piece I can say "This belonged to my Great Great Grandma!"

And I'm all about "vintage," so the style is just perfect :)

Anyway, I am super duper glad your husband) were able to repurpose her ring into something you can enjoy each and every day. What a sweet, thoughtful, and incredibly loving gesture :)

Anonymous said...

That's THE MOST beautiful story I've ever read, Ellen. Wow. Your dad and Brad....what romantics! You've got yourself a different kind of gem, Ellen!

-- Shannon

ALI said...

My first thought was "oh my, mom would be really understanding to not get mad for being posted on the internet in her robe!"

Then I read & LOVED every word & moment. I think your ring story is so lovely! How thoughtful of your dad and Brad!