While on Pinterest, (I know, I know) I found this great idea. On January 1, hang every hanger in your closet backwards. When you wear an item hang it the right way. A year from now, get rid of anything that's still on a backwards hanger. (source)
Simple, no? Last night I turned all my hangers. Why wait for January 1?
I have made numerous trips to Goodwill this year. We have sold things on Craig's List. I haven't done much clothing shopping (jeans, a few basic T's, and a dress--all year). I've only bought one pair of shoes (truth). I don't buy books unless I can't find them at the library, and I rarely keep a book after reading it.
I am determined to not buy another "beauty" product until I use up all I have.
Yet, I/we still have stuff. Too much stuff. I have moments when I covet stuff, and moments when I loathe stuff. I wonder at all the wish lists I see--people wanting more stuff, and I wonder what's wrong with me.
It's been fun making a few things off Pinterest, but even then I worry about accumulating more stuff. (The scarf I made yesterday will be turned into a rag when the trend passes for infinity scarves. I have a rule about buying only one Christmas ornament a year, but this year I made a couple, so how does that figure in with my math?)
So my questions of the week are:
What do you do to clean out?
What gets you motivated?
What are your rules for keeping things?
I want to keep what's important. I want to keep things I will use. I think this all stems from my mom's death, having to go through her things and not knowing what was of most value to her. I don't know...but the want to simplify exists.



8 comments:
I ADOREEEE that thing with the hangers!!! I usually purge at the end of every season when I change over my closet & the hanger thing will be a fantastic way of doing it!
I honestly haven't purged in forever. I have clothes that don't fit that I need to rid myself of because they only bring tears but I love the color or the style. I have a pair of shoes with a broken heel that I adore and am actively trying to repair. And I have books upon books upon books. I guess my point is that I'm not very good at ridding myself of stuff.
I did the hanger thing about couple years ago, but I'm pretty good about cleaning out my clothes every few months, so it didn't have a huge impact for me. I love stuff, but I'm also pretty good at purging...then I buy more stuff. haha!
That is a great idea! I'll have to try it! I clean out periodically... right now, my closet is on my list before I go back to work... it's also where I store my paperwork and I need to organize and go over the budget since it's year end. I'd like to take the kids on a quick trip to Disney in June and I need to see if there is room in the budget... that's what's motivating me!
You're probably right about the motivation for your minimalist "collections." I like the hanger idea.
I like the flylady web site. Bonnie got me started on this and it encourages you to clean your kitchen sink and reduce the clutter in your house. After I saw your blog about purging, I returned two Christmas gifts that I don't have a purpose for and am considering my next donation to GoodWill. I need to figure out who will take the excess hangers at my house because the Goodwill does not take this item and my daughters took some but don't want the remainder. One of the decluttering points that I read is that if you remove the things you are not using, then you create space to enjoy the things that you are using. Small victory - we now have a little yoga room with a wooden floor - just the right size for 1 or 2 people to do yoga.
I love the hanger idea! And I often go through the same covet/loathe cycle. I think it is part of reminding us we are human...
Great post thannkyou
Post a Comment