I got too many yeses to count.
I was blown away by the generosity of people I've met and many whom I have yet to meet.
All the gifts have tales to tell, and perhaps I'll get to share more. But one gift has a great little story to it, and I'm going to tell it here. I don't ever want to forget this intentional act of kindness.
The auction was held at Lemont's Community Christian Church's campus. (I regret being too occupied to take any photos, it's in what used to be a restaurant--funky chic.) It's at least a 40 minute drive from here. My niece Alice and I got there at about 11 that morning, and we helped Jenn and her friends set up for three hours or so. Then Al and I drove back to Aurora.
Just before five, after telling Jenn we'd be back at 6:00, Brad, Al, and I started back. Traffic was insane, and we were frustrated. Brad has so much patience, but even he was concerned. So we texted Jenn to tell her we were stuck. She, coming from the other direction, was too. She was upset, and so I told her we'd all be there on time, not to worry. As we got closer to Lemont, I called Jenn who was still stuck, and told her we were there, she gave us the lock-box combo (Brad's a Realtor and knew what to do), and we entered, threw on all the lights, and started on her last minute to-do list.
I hurried to the front doors to unlock them, and through the edges of the beveled glass I saw a little boy whose profile I recognized, standing next to his mom. I unlocked and opened the door, and said, "Cecily?"
"Ellie?"
A woman whose blog I read, a woman whom I had never met, was standing outside with her little guy, and this:
It's a baby quilt, and she made it last week. Though she was overworked by her master's coursework and its demands, she took time to create this wonderful work of art. You can read about her reasons here.
Cecily, in that moment of recognition, my heart soared. You truly are a gift from God. I can't wait to get to know you better, but if for some reason that's not part of the plan, you gave so much that night.
Her quilts are gorgeous, and so was this one. It sold for about $60 that night, adding to the total that gifted Jenn with $4000 toward the cost of becoming a mom.
People are good. If I ever believe otherwise, may I think of Cecily.


6 comments:
this is a beautiful post. I love it, and it reassures me that there is good in the world. There are angels here on earth! God is so good!!!
So heart warming
Well told Ellie. Even though i was there it was fun to read the story as you tell it. Everyone's generosity has been overwhelming in a good way. So many people helping another person they don't know out of the goodness of their heart. On a side note- I also forgot to take any pictures or video. Really wish I had for those who couldn't be there.
Thank you, Ellie... it was a pleasure and the gratitude I've seen from both you and Jen have been more than enough thanks. Can't wait to see pics of Jen as a mom one day. :)
Wow, so wonderful! So, so happy it was a success :D
This is just so awesome.
I'm so sorry I missed the event. J & I were going to try & make it, but all the excitment around his breaking his nose kind of killed the opportunity.
I'm so happy it went so well for her & that she was able to raise so much towards goal!
Post a Comment