(not my toes or pink spray, image borrowed from...)
I often read well-worded-rants on blogs or exclamations on facebook about poor customer service, and while I can identify with folks who don't like or plan to return to certain establishments, I work to remain positive instead of venting on the negative. Trust me, it is work. I have had many customer service jobs, and I found it was simply easier and more enjoyable to make people happy through great customer service--so now when things go wrong when I'm in consumer role, I work to remain calm and understand that people on the other side of the counter might just be having a bad day.
In that light, I had a great little customer service experience at Hobby Lobby the other night. (Come to think of it, the folks there are always super helpful!)
Two weeks ago, I had bought a piece of "resin" decor. It was shaped as fleur de lis, and I hoped to spray it silver (the gold is too brassy and not my thing) and hang it somewhere in our home. When I took it out of the bag, Brad asked where I meant to hang it. I didn't know. After two weeks of it sitting on our counter, I still didn't know.
When I bought it, I had carried it and some other things to the car without a bag. When I returned it, I carefully placed it (and some of those other things) in a bag. I am uncomfortable returning things, but this had been an impulse buy so it was silly to keep it around. They'll still have it if I suddenly spy the perfect spot for it.
Entering the store through double doors, the bag swung on my arm and hit the door that wasn't open. When I got to the returns counter, the fluer de lis was broken. I thought, "What should I say? I'm going to look foolish!" So I told the woman the truth, and she said, "Oh, these break so easily!" And she gave me my money back.
I broke it, but she took it back anyway.
It made my night!
Question of the Week: What good customer service experiences have you had lately?
Give a pat on the back to a place you love and hope others will frequent!
Give a pat on the back to a place you love and hope others will frequent!


5 comments:
What a great idea! I'll share! Ryan and I have this great little pizza carryout place just down the street from us, and we've been getting pizza from there since, well-the first weekend we moved into the neighborhood! The owner is also the head chef, and he helps out in all areas of the place-sometimes he'll help up front ringing folks out, sometimes we hear him in back cooking, and I've even seen him in their car out on deliveries! Well, whenever we call in an order, it doesn't matter what we order, he'll say something like, "Oh-that's delicious. You'll just love the spices/cheese/quality of the eggplant, etc. etc." It is just so refreshing to meet someone who believes in what he does, who is "all in" and keeping it a group passion. Not only is the food just great, but it feels good to support such a nice group of guys. Go Pietanzo's in Carol Stream!
Great customer service was provided by an insurance company if you can believe that. Blue Cross Blue Shield did everything possible to get my hospital bill fixed. They continued to call until finally they got it zeroed out. If it wasn't for them, I think I would still be going round and round with the hospital for something I never should have been charged with in the first place.
Meijer yesterday. The lady was having a bad day, but for once I was having a great shopping trip with J - even though it took 2 hours (no list, busy & Matt asked for a list of stuff half way through our trip - so we had to backtrack & start over)
I was able to let my happiness over flow to her & by the end of ringing up all my groceries she was smiling & wishing me a great day.
side note: Home Depot is great about taking stuff back as well.
The Jewel on Roselle Road in Schaumburg has some great cashiers and baggers. On Sunday (it was still cold and blustery) I walked in the doors and the "cart" guy offered me a cart that was not wet, did not have a bum wheel and stayed straight - he knew it was a good one - not just a random cart off the line! Thanks!
right now i am dealing with the customer service about our bedroom furniture which is waaaay past overdue ... i am expecting a call today. we'll see.
Post a Comment