Saturday, February 4, 2012

Give Away with a Favor Attached

In my sporadic efforts to be more green, I often thought about ordering wool dryer balls from a vendor I like on facebook.

In my constant state of cheap, I kept giving myself reasons not to.

Then, as a newbie to Pinterest, I found a link to a blog where directions were given to make them.  So, in time, I did.  I made nine.

Why wool dryer balls?  They are to be used in lieu of fabric softener in your washer or softener sheets in the dryer.  They're money savers.  They are an all natural alternative meant to soften fabrics.  Do they make noise?  Only a little because they roll around with the laundry.  I've been told they cut down on drying time, also.  Another green aspect!

I am keeping three, giving three to my greenest friend and knitting sensei Megan, and I'd like to give the other three away to one of my commenters.  Here are "your" three:
I opted to make them bright colors so they would be easily spied in the dryer. That's where we store ours between use.

Condition, should you win the random drawing, I'd like your feedback on them and their use.  Do you notice a difference?  Did they retain their shape?  Should they be bigger?  I'd like to make more of these as gifts, but if they are all hype, then there's no point in that.  So I need your help!

How to enter: Leave a comment saying you're entering and make sure I know how to get a hold of you should you win. Entries close on Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.  I will choose a winner on Thursday (using a random number generator), announce it in the comments for this post and contact the winner.  One entry per person please.

12 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm entering...and I'm pretty sure you know where to find me.

Ash said...

I'd love to give these a try! I have all the stuff to make my own detergent, and I have been looking into what to use in place of dryer sheets (well we currently use a bounce dryer bar).

demureprincess7(at)gmail(dot)com

Elsie said...

Yay! Dryer balls! I tried making some of these once, but Malachi thought they were fun to play with... I'd love to try them again and keep better track of them (good idea leaving them in the dryer) =)

Anonymous said...

Enter ME! I am intrigued! I just ordered a shampoo bar...like a bar of soap.. It is in hopes on cutting down on shampoo bottles etc... I am worried about the conditioner aspect tho! We shall see!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'll pass because I'm addicted to Downy! I think I use about three times the recommended amount but our clothes are soft and smell great! I'd probably just add the balls to my craziness and that would totally defeat your purpose!

Gretchen said...

yay! Those are so cute!!! I'd love to win them. Lord knows I do enough laundry. LOL

Maria (also Bia) said...

NEVER heard of this ... i am ingrigued.

ALI said...

not entering... I'm no where near green enough to even consider going here...

But I do have to say, I'd be more likely to try these, since vinegar is skipped since you use these...

Also, I wanted to say - how delightful of you to put forth your time & effort into spreading a cause you believe in...

Denise said...

Enter me, too! I am working towards living a more organic lifestyle, thereby eliminating toxins not just in the food that I eat but in the household and personal care products I use each day. We are exposed to so many harmful substances found in goods we use in our lives each and every day. I would love to win these and be able to use them as an alternative to the chemicals found in fabric softener. Thanks Ellen!

Thriftanista in the City said...

I'm entering the contest. I could use an extra set of dryer balls. I love them.

kimber said...

I used to use a sneaker until it got wedged somewhere in my drier and it overheated. For some reason, tennis balls end up gone… not sure how that happens. I've heard of felt ones, but haven't ever tried! What an awesome idea!!
I too am looking in to making my own detergent with essential oils. There can't be anything wonderful about the good-smelling stuff I use now.
Great giveaway!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Denise won!