Thursday, March 22, 2012

Curly Q--question of the week

I've been mulling over a hair post for a while now.  In my quest to write about things more deeply, it just didn't seem appropriate.  Wait, you didn't sense I was reaching for depth?  It's an internal thing, something I want to do, but haven't really achieved.

Regardless, I have decided to let my hair grow again.  Exciting eh?  About as exciting as watching paint dry is watching hair grow.  Except, my hair is wavy/curly so it may be really thrilling when I get to Q-tip stage.  You know, skinny upper body, long neck and a poof of hair on my head.

Brad doesn't understand it.  He likes my hair short. Of course, he liked it longer and didn't want me to cut it. The man doesn't like hair change. Two years ago, I had my hair cut off to pixie length (it's a '60s thing), and I loved it (he did too).  But after two years of only having that "style", I'm tired of it.  So I'm trying something else.

I console the man by saying, "If I don't like it a bit longer, I can cut it all off again," but that makes him look at me with concern.  I'm not sure what to do with that concern, I will admit.

This week's question, perhaps one I've asked before,  
Does your husband/boyfriend/man of your dreams share his opinion on your look or does he not notice?

Thanks to Stacy for pinning the above graphic.  It made me laugh!  (Sorry it's grainy, I wanted y'all to be able to read it.)  It's so true, women with straight hair often look at curlies with envy.  And we look back with the same.  Sometimes I tweak my hair and make it curl and marvel at how it just does that.  I'm getting to the point of acceptance, it's been five decades after all...

10 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

With my hair, I will say, I feel pretty lucky... keeping it long, I can straighten it, curl it, braid it, make it wavy, ponytail it... long hair works for me.

The hubs likes it long... but then, his is longer then mine! :) How often does THAT happen :)

Connie said...

My dad always made a point to say how much he loved my long hair. Ryan has always told me that he thinks I'm beautiful, but when I cut my hair drastically last year to donate it, he said that while he thought my longer hair was great too, he was surprised at how much more he liked my hair short-(And I actually agreed-I had no idea how much I'd love my hair bobbed).

Yes, I do miss some of the more intricate styles I could do with my very long hair (particularly the "heidi" style braid crown), but I think it'll be a long time before I ever grow it out to that length again. :)

Stacy said...

No acceptance here. After 47 years I discovered keratin blow outs and now wonder where these have been all my life?! I've gone from poodle curly to straight. LOVE IT!

As for Tim, he always says it doesn't matter to him.

lisa :) said...

My sister has naturally curly hair and mine is straight and I always think about this one time at Christmas where my mom got her a flat iron and me a set of rollers. It was definitely a "grass is always greener" moment.

But anyway, I'm pretty fickle about my hair and like to change it a lot. Tony likes it long, but lately I've been growing it out and then cutting it to donate. It's a nice compromise that he gets to see me with it long for a while but then knows when I chop it, it's for a good cause.

Daenel T. said...

I love my hair short. Always have, always will. The hubs loves it long. Always has, always will. It's long. I promised not to cut it but I hate it this long. Too much work. We've compromised though, I'm growing out the straight and letting it go natural, which is curly.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

my hair is think and frizzy. i gather it is not a look my husband likes, but he would not dare say anything about it. he does not like it super short.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I did when I was married because I really didn't care and it seemed like a small way to please him... but within a month or two of him leaving I cut it shorter than it had ever been :-) The last guy made an off-hand comment about me not cutting my hair... it happened to be longer then it was in years when I met him... I've had it cut shorter twice since this fall... apparently this is a trend of mine... instead of washing the man outta my hair I cut it! :-)

ALI said...

Funny, I actually asked my DH this morning would he prefer my hair long(shoulder length) and brown or short & blonde.

Without missing a beat he went from bemoaning my question (as he hates my questions of this sort) to promptly responding short & blonde.

He really prefer long & blonde, but realizes that is just havoc for my hair.

He has often said he fell for a fun loving blonde, but married the witchy brunette.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I can't grow mine out to save my life! It gets to that in between point where I can't do anything with it and I chop it off again! Hubby really doesn't care and only comments when I insist. He says, "it's your hair!" I respond, "But you're the one who has to look at it!"

Sammi said...

I liked my hair short, but I like it long too. The only issue is that there is only SO much that can be done with my hair, and I find long pieces of hair EVERYWHERE. When I'm laying on Brian's shoulder or something, my hair is either making me itchy, or tickling his face. I joke that I'm going to shave my head, and he says that if I do, he will. Which is terrible because I love his hair. Haha. I don't remember where I was going with this, so I guess I'll stop rambling...