Sunday, March 25, 2012

Your Body--Q of the W

I had considered taking this whole week off from blogging.  Goodness knows I have enough other things to be doing over spring break.  I am getting them done, but an early morning facebook conversation with my accountability partner spurred me to write this post.

Funny how talking things over with someone important matters so much.

We were discussing women and how hard we are on ourselves.  Stacy said she thought there isn't a woman around who doesn't want to change something about herself.

I know that's true for the woman sitting at this keyboard.

So I've decided to ask you the hardest question I've asked.

Will you name three things you like about your body?
A "no" answer is not acceptable.

I don't mean three internal things or behaviors, I'm talking the physical.  The parts we beat ourselves up over.  I have to admit, it's going to be hard for me to come up with three.  Three without qualification.  Three without hesitating to hit the word "publish."  Three without comparing myself to others.  

My three:
1) my waist

Now, you can't see this but I'm sitting here looking down at myself and I can't think of anything else.  This is not me fishing for compliments, this is me struggling.  I'm thinking, and canceling thoughts, and hurting a bit.  Minutes are passing.

2)  my back
3)  my skin--I think I have a nice complexion

And you?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great question to pose. I'm going to meditate on this idea, and then post about it!

Karin said...

Interesting question and one that's hard to articulate for one's self, isn't it. My eyes, my hands, my smile! The easier list would be to write down all the body parts that hurt!

Thankful for how fearfully and wonderfully I've been made and how this body has served me well over the past 67+ years!!

Stacy said...

You know....I really am going to have to start charging you consulting fees. LOL

Three things I like?

*cue crickets*

My long fingers. I've been told I have piano player hands. Given my lack of musical talent I should probably give them back.

My smile.

My eyebrows. They have a great arch.

Jane said...

So hard to think of parts of me I like! The parts other people mention are my nice shiny hair, my straight without braces teeth, and my smile. The parts I don't like: the poor-circulation mottled lower legs, too plump middle, and swollen knees. Oh, I do like my ankles! Except when they swell, they are nice and slim and I do like them! Glad I found one thing to like! :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

This here body is in a state of serious rebellion! Not sure I blame it since I have used and abused it for over a half century. (Gosh! I'm old!) And it's hard to be grateful for legs, hips, back and neck that have surrendered to arthritis. Still ... they carried me longer than I deserved and they haven't totally failed me yet. I am grateful!

1. Eyes - gorgeous green eyes that change colors with my mood. They tend towards a gray shade but once in a while they shift to a glorious blue.

2. Toenails ... perky and pink with little white flowers with a sparkly silver center. Yes ... it's fake and temporary but I like it!

3. Fingers ... which in spite of the carpal tunnel (to which my wrists have fallen prey) continue to function as they were designed to do allowing me to write and communicate with the whole wide world!

Rebecca Jo said...

This is kinda hard... I saw it this weekend & was instantly like, nothing...

but I'll give it a go.

I like:
1. my hair
2. my big eyes... my hubby always is complimenting me on them :)
3. my long legs.

Whew... that's hard to find things you really like about yourself, isnt it? Such a shame.

ALI said...

My Enbrel improved skin.

My smile.

My eyes.

Amy said...

You know, I don't hate my body, but I do have a bit of trouble coming up with things I like about it.

My list:

1. Shapely calves
2. Hair -- thick and generally well-behaved
3. My perky nose

Susie - Walking Butterfly said...

Durn, this is a monumental challenge today....but here they are:
my eyes
my smile
that I am still not grey at 57.
Thanks this helps!

Connie S. said...

Great question!

For me, it's
*my neck-it's slender and has a nice curve.
*my eyes-they're my mom's
*my nose-it tips just a little bit up at the end.