Two weeks in a row! This is my second week of joining Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.
I love her questions...
My favorite bird is the cardinal. They were my grandfather's favorite, and so when I see one, I think of him. Right after my mom died, I was on the phone with a friend. The snow was coming down hard outside, and I was inside weeping as we spoke. Suddenly a cardinal flew by and landed in a backyard tree. Its color, such a crimson contrast against the pure snow, offered me such comfort--it felt as though Grampa was telling me Mom was with him. I don't believe in coincidences, and looking back now, I realized it was a God thing.
Shortly before my dad died, one of our last Father's Days with him, we all sat in that same yard watching a father cardinal work all day to bring food to his next of babies that was just under our kitchen window. We marveled at how hard he worked.
So there are three reasons I'm fond of redbirds.
I do not tweet. I'm on facebook too much, Pinterest too much and I blog. Good grief, no one is all that interested in what I have to say! I don't follow anyone on Twitter either.
3. Its been reported recently that employers are not only viewing the facebook pages of potential hires but they're also requesting your facebook password to have a look at what you've kept from public view. What say you?
There is nothing on my facebook wall or in my photos that would cause me embarrassment. But I do limit the number of and who I'm friends with there, so I would be bothered by a prospective employer (AKA a stranger) looking at my posts. It's personal. I wouldn't take a prospective employee to a family function, to workout, or out for a drink either. There are questions an interviewer is not allowed to ask, and this would fall into that category. Privacy must be respected.
Somewhat related, when I was voted onto our education association, I unfriended a few parent friends and administrators. I just didn't want any muddied waters. This answer is sort of muddy...I don't write about work on facebook (I teach school), but if a peer slipped and posted something, I wouldn't want their venting to be seen by eyes who could misconstrue it.
Anyway, it should NOT be a condition of employment.
4. It's April and you know what that means-Major League Baseball is back in action. What's your favorite baseball movie? If that's too hard, what's your favorite sports themed movie?
Baseball is my favorite sport--my brother is an MLB scout, and all his kids played in college. I'm a third generation White Sox fan. Hm, my favorite baseball movie? Pastime. I know, you haven't heard of it, but I love it. Sandlot is fun, Field of Dreams has some major errors (one that it stars Kevin Costner--ew), and Bull Durham suffers from some casting issues, but Pastime is pretty pure.
5. Something else this season brings-asparagus. Yes please or no thanks? If it's yes please what's your favorite way to have it prepared?
6. What drives you? (Don't you love how I sandwiched that one in between asparagus and jugglers???)
What drives me? This is too ambiguous. My husband is underemployed right now, so that drives my need to work (I always have worked). However, the job I have is important and constantly under fire, so it's essential I do it well--teachers are scrutinized.
At my core, God drives me. I work to layer things over Him, shameful confession, but without Him I am nothing.
7. April 18th is International Jugglers Day...can you juggle?
I cannot juggle, but I would like to learn. I have a feeling I'd stink at it, but I'd like to give it a go. Hm, perhaps I should peruse YouTube...
8. Insert your own random thought here
Everyday, and I mean everyday, I find myself wishing (and praying) that my kids would care as much about their learning as I do.




8 comments:
Oh My! So much to comment on... I don't tweet either and I'm sorry, but no passwords to employers... private is private... we just hired a new AP and one of the parents on the hiring team asked a candidate how he showed diversity in his own life and I thought, Back Off... you just overstepped... you don't get to ask that in an interview!
I like baseball movies so will have to check out Pastime. My brother is a high school counselor and isn't on facebook just to keep the waters clean. I am friends with some of my girls former teachers on facebook but none of us are ranters : ) I'm friends with a few parents of former students of mine too. There was no facebook when I taught so not an issue.
Oh, I forgot to say Go Phillies! : )
You sound like a wonderful teacher! Yes, they are scrutinized far too much these days. I'm a big fan of cardinals, as well. Love their bright, red color. I am now following your blog!
The Sandlot!!!! Why didnt I think of that!!! AWESOME MOVIE!!!!
I tried learning to juggle one time. NOT pretty!
I struggle with my boys over school too. My husband is a high school teacher and he feels like he has failed as a parent because they do not care about their education as we do. Hopefully they will catch on sooner than later!
The cardinal is a beautiful bird and your story was very touching.
Cardinals are beautiful! I used to teach second grade so I can relate to what you wrote about teaching.
I enjoyed your hodgepodge today :)
Post a Comment