Thursday, June 28, 2012

There's Still Time (Wreath Tutorial)

All over the Internet, you'll find fabulous decorations for various holiday decor.  I'm not super big into decorating for each and every holiday, but I did want to do something little and fun for the 4th, and so I made this wreath for our front door.  (That's not our front door, read on!)  The good news is, this is a simple project that kids 8-and-up can do, and you still have time to make one if you'd like.  (And the teacher in me thinks it's great to have the kids do the measuring and cutting.  School when school is out.)
It's so easy, and since I used a wreath and pins I already had, I only spent about four dollars on the rest of the materials.

I started with this cord wrapped wreath I had from a Valentine's Day debacle...
Then using felt from Michael's (.29 a sheet and made from recycled plastic), I cut each sheet into 2" x 2" squares.
I folded them in fourths, how appropriate, and pinned them into the wreath.  Turning them different directions helps create a fluffier look.
Every day of this summer my nails have been nicely painted, except the day I snap quick pictures for a tutorial!  Oh well...

I wasn't sure how much felt to buy, but after finishing it, I can tell you that each white and red space is comprised of the squares cut from one piece, and the blue portion is two pieces of felt.

When I thought I was "done," there were no stars.  I thought it needed some, so I went to Michael's and visited just about every aisle.  Stars were either the wrong size, the wrong color, or too expensive.  Finally I found glittery foam felt (1.79 a sheet?).  I bought one sheet, made a pattern, and cut out the five stars. They are glued to the blue felt with Tacky Glue.
Yesterday when I included this in a post, a young commenter wrote, "My grandma used to make felt wreaths."  (Okay, I paraphrase.)  I was a little worried this looked to grandma-y, so I wrote to this person privately, and she said my wreath was not old-ladyish but fabulous!  (Okay, now I really pararphrase...)

And, it's not on our front door.  The few times I have made wreaths, they wind up where we can see them and enjoy them, on the laundry room door.  No one ever comes to our front door, but this door can be seen from the kitchen and each time we leave the house.  It's all about us!

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

So quick question - about how many pins do you think you need to cover the whole thing? I love it!!!!!! Seems so fun to do too!!!

Jane said...

I think it looks great!

Sam | Away She Went said...

I always plan to decorate for holidays other than Christmas, but it never really happens. So, I'm happy one of us actually made a 4th of July craft! The wreath looks great!

Yvette said...

I really do love this! :)