Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Wrestle

This morning, I was up early checking email, and found myself looking through some documents to send someone a copy of my Social Security card.  Don't worry, it wasn't a scam artist!  While trying to find my card, I went through a slender file that holds many important identifying papers.  I didn't find the card, but instead I found an email, dated 2005, from an aunt.  I had not forgotten about the email, but I had forgotten I kept it.

I took a few moments to read it, it stung, and the wound is reopen and the guilt is fresh again.  She ended our relationship with that email, and in doing so, the domino effect touched so many others on my mom's side of the family.  You know, when the matriarch decides you're out, even when she doesn't tell anyone else--that was a promise she made--it subtly touches every other family member.  It left me floundering.  I immediately, of course, was no longer invited to her home.  Though she came to my wedding shower and ceremony, it was awkward, and I found myself pulling away from my cousins because it's just too hard to know about their lives without knowing them any longer. 

My other aunt, who read at my wedding, has pulled away, and now my wedding album is a reminder of this fractured family.  Two of my uncles did not come to my wedding.  One, who was a dad to me after my own dad died, did not come.  From him, I didn't get a card or a note, only a well wish after I sent him a few snapshots of the day.  I felt his absence.

I guess it still hurts because my eyes leak as I write this.

I'm not blaming her, her decision and the events that have or haven't transpired because of that decision, was my fault. She wrote that I said hurtful things.  Apparently I did so often and over many years.  And though my tongue can be sharp, I truly and callously didn't realize the damage I was doing.

But I did it. It's done. I attempted to repair it, I apologized and meant it, I won't tell that story as it leaves me grasping and my heart hurting.

Since then, I have married, and my husband's family has chosen to not like me.  In moments like this, I think, "Well, no wonder, so much of my own family doesn't."  And it all makes sense. 

But then I am bewildered.  I work with people who know me so well, really so incredibly well.  They are my friends.  They share my ups and downs.  They come to my home, they celebrate with me, they are quality people.  They are important to me.  They know me, warts and all, and they are incredibly loyal and true. And I, losing humility here for a moment, am the same to them. I am a good friend.

It is true, not everyone will like me.  That's been proven, but the who and the whys still stymy me.

8 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

:( I always have to remind myself that not everyone is going to like me... that's ok as long as I like myself & am at peace with my decisions. No one else has to live with me, but me...

You're not alone either... I think families always have their 'out' people, which is so dumb really... but it happens...
I think it just hurts more when its family :(

Alessandra said...

Like they say, we can choose our friends, but you don't choose our family. That's probably because if we could, we wouldn't choose the people we are stuck with. I don't talk to my brother for something I don't consider that major, but that's the way it is, I know I can't change him. Even if the original reason your aunt had for breaking it off with you is your own doing, she still chose not to forgive you, and that is on her. You can't change that, but you don't have to own it either. :)

ALI said...

Sending you huge hugs! And prayers for comfort.

I'm always at a loss when I encounter a grudge holder. My mom is one. It takes so much energy to hold grudges that after a weekend with her, I remind myself to thank God for helping me not be that kind of person.

You've done what you could do, now just be thankful you don't have to expend that energy daily to hold the grudge. Maybe one day she too will get tired of holding such anger close to her heart.

Unknown said...

This entry saddened my heart. So many people seem to have to go through this, myself included. It is tough, a real heart breaker. I've never understood the why's behind these kinds of decisions but do think they happen because of people's inability to forgive. They get so comfortable with the pain that it gets wrapped around them like a comfy blanket. And you know what that does, hon; the thing that was the last straw, the thing they hold onto grows larger and larger in their mind as time passes. After awhile it is not longer a pebble but a boulder.
I talked to my oldest son a few weeks ago and said "I know where you'll be day after tomorrow." He asked "Where's that, Mom?"
"At your daughter's wedding." was my reply.
"She is getting married?" He didn't know, hadn't been invited and it broke his heart. When I asked why he hadn't been informed he told me " I don't really know. Families are really strange, Mom. We've been close. I thought myself to be loving, kind and supportive of her. She'd drop by and stay with us for a short while then disappear and never get in touch.
It hurt my heart. I know how it feels, got shut out by a sister for over five years once. Even when she finally decided to include me in her family again it was never the same- not with us, and not with other family members.
You did your best- tried to make things right. That's the best we can do. I'm very sorry you had to experience this.
Hope your today is good, that you find some "SHINY" moments in it.
Take care.

Claudya Martinez said...

I appreciate your heartfelt candor. I'm sorry for the pain and yet somehow you seem to reflect and grow from it.

kimber said...

Yikes. Family can be so hard. I'm sure it would have been better had your aunt handled that a little less hurtfully. Sorry that your apology didn't fall on ears that were able to hear.
I personally think you're pretty special.
{{{hugs}}}

Kayla said...

Family can be such an awesome and simulataneously awful thing. I have yet to take part in any really family "drama" for lack of a better word, because I am so much younger, but I have certainly beared witness to its awful and long reaching effects. Basically, we do what we can, and we certainly aren't always right in our approach, but the people who are supposed to stay in your life generally do.

Unknown said...

I like you. I like you a lot. And anyone who doesn't...well, that's their loss. I'm sorry for what happened to you with your family. I've been through similar within my own family and it does sting. BUT, I won't change myself for them. I am who I am and I like myself.

So you keep on being awesome and let the chips fall where they may. The ones holding grudges are usually the most unhappy of all.