But I kept one, June's copy of MORE, for an article on walking (in my mind I'm adding "versus running"). I'm now in week 5 (again) of the Couch to 5K program. I do it all on my treadmill because 1) it's hot, 2) there's no timer on the sidewalk, 3) no dreaded shin splints, and 4) no one, and I mean no one, needs to see me run.
Can I tell you (again)? I hate running. I loathe it. I despise it. I like to be able to say, "Oh, when I was running this morning," and the other day someone told me I have "runner's legs," when she saw a
The cache of being a runner would be removed from my life. Okay, not many people even knew I was doing this again. But I don't want to run any more 5K's, I just wanted to be able to run 5K.
This information is making me rethink that want:
"When you walk, muscles have to generate energy for every step. In running, you're temporarily airborne, and you fall onto your leg which acts like a spring...Even at speeds above 4 or 5 mph, walking is much easier on the joints than running is."
Did you catch that mph? Four or 5. Today I walked at 4-4.2, and I was able to get through it more pleasantly than the running I did at 4.4 for nine minutes the other day. And, though my lungs and heart seemed to stay in place, my legs did feel it more. The idea of walking 5 mph blows me away, but right now I'm happy with working on getting a good walk on at 4.4 (my running speed).
Am I ready to give up running? I just may be.
I could aim to better my time, in time, by walking.
Here's the link to the walking plan.



5 comments:
I say you should exercise and if walking makes you happier than running, then walk. You aren't going to want a lifetime of doing something you don't like.
My husband and I have been walking about 2.8 miles every evening and a few times I have tried to run. 1. I'm an awkward runner and 2. I hate running. I know how important it is to exercise and keep myself mobile, so I'm choosing to walk for life! :) I do know several people who have done the couch to 5K and done well.
Running is not a sport someone can do if they don't like it, it is quite painful to get in running shape and finding someone that will run with you is even more difficult. I happen to like running, but I've been doing it all my life. Walking is just as good, as long as your heart rate goes up, so I'd say walk, don't run your way to better health. :)
I vote for walking. Running can be so hard on the body, and if you walk at a brisk enough rate, the benefits are just as good. Not to mention, it's hard to keep up something you don't enjoy. Either way, go you for exercising!
I totally understand this post... I have lately been wanting to walk more then run, with my crickety old knees.... & honestly, sometimes, my walking is FASTER then my running...
I've been passed up in MANY a race by walkers too... they say that walking is the most healthy exercise there is - especially over running. As long as you get miles in, walking, or running, I say you're doing something great for your body.
keep it up!!
Post a Comment