Thursday, August 7, 2008

In my Father's house

A few years ago, to celebrate my becoming part of the family, my friend Chris presented me with Oswald Chamber's My Utmost for His Highest. It's a daily devotional book first published in 1927. My copy is an updated one, but it's still old school--it is deep and something to wrestle with. So typical of a good God thing, I tend to have more questions after I work with it than I do when I first open it.

The other day I emptied a box of books that had found its way to the basement instead of our office bookshelves when we moved here a year ago April. This book was amongst those I unpacked. Flipping through it was a rich experience. I'm sort of planning my re-entry into the school year routine, and I've decided to work to make this book a part of each morning.

Because Brad and I were going to the Willow Creek Leadership Summit today, I got up early to exercise. First though, I grabbed the book and turned to August 7. Chambers asked: "Am I a holy, innocent child of God as a result of my identification with my Lord and Savior?" The passage went on to describe "oneness" and being about "my Father's business." I was reminded of a quote shared in church a while back. Bishop Desmond Tutu said, "You are dearly loved children of God. Now live like it."

At the time, I thought that meant the usual--be nice, be good ("good" being defined as exactly as God intended). But when connected to this passage, I can't help but think Tutu also is inviting us to live with Him through prayer, not the asking for things but the moment by moment connecting to Him that is so necessary to feel His love and joy. In living that life, we can't but help advance His purpose. We become less, He becomes more.

There's a newness to these thoughts and experiences that make me question if I'm getting "IT." But you know, I'm loving the process. I'm loving God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of "minding my Father's business." Today, my lovely husband told me to "MYOB". (I tend to over-manage Paige and her very capable parents. As soon as I realized they were young enough to be my kids, I started in with the advice...)

I think "MYFB" would put me in a place to be a blessing to other people.

eric b. said...

It's either poetic foreshadowing, prophecy, or both, that you would refer to getting "IT" in light of tomorrow's speaker at the summit, Craig Groeschel... I think you're going to like IT.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

J--

But you are a blessing to other people! Shall I count the ways.

Too funny about the advice though. When we get to a certain age, suddenly we feel so sage.

Patience said...

You're not alone "out there." You have inspired me to start up my blog again. I have read some really good and thought provoking books this summer and this would be the perfect way to "digest" them I think. Thanks for inspiring....

Angie