Saturday, August 9, 2008

Two Gifts


I have received some thoughtful, generous and cute gifts from my kids. It's obvious most have come from the heart--either the child's heart, a parent's heart, or both. I have been blessed so richly in my life, there's really nothing I need. So, early on in my career, I opted to take a chance and find a way to carefully share my wish for "alternative" gifts. I love a gift of writing, we've needed games for our indoor recess cabinet and books for our class library, and some classes have taken on special services projects.

This past year, for some reason, it felt more awkward to make this ask. Assuming families might want to get me gifts is a little weird, so I made no such request until after Christmas. Then before Valentine's Day, I sent home a gently worded letter requesting my classroom families do something for someone with less if they ever wanted to present me with a gift. Always the teacher, I asked the student tell me about the gift in a note.

For Valentine's Day, along with chocolate and flowers, I received a few such gifts, and at year's end, I received more gift-to-others gifts. I was so touched. Two in particular have come back to touch me throughout this summer.

The first was a gift from Judah and his family. They made a monetary donation to The International Justice Mission. This human rights organization serves those with much less by rescuing victims from oppression: slavery, prostitution, police brutality, and illegal property seizures.

Coincidentally, the founder of IJM, Gary Haugen, spoke at the Leadership Summit this week. He was gentle and so funny, and he told us from 8:30-9:00 every morning his staff, no matter how busy they are, stop everything to pray and read the Bible. It was a powerful reminder to me and somewhat of a challenge--if these people can do this wherever they are, with the work they face, so should I. So can I. He told us they could not do the work they do without God. Isn't that true of all of us?
Thank you Judah.

The other remarkable gift, was from Melanie and her family. Melanie shared the story of Peyton Elizabeth Rudd, gave me her web link, and made a donation to her family in my name. Peyton lives in Arizona, loves Build a Bear, her little brother, and Disney princesses. She has an aggressive form of brain cancer.

Above you see Peyton before she was diagnosed just last year, and below is the most recent photo of her from her parents' blog. Her daddy writes about her condition and events of her life, but more importantly, the family's faith shines forth in every post. They love and trust in God so much it is evident. They chronicle the medical decisions they face each day, the pain and discomfort she's experiencing, but also the daily joys of their life with their daughter and son. Their faith is deep, and it reaches this stranger far away. My favorite photo was of Peyton being baptized!

Each time they post, I am given a gift. Thank you Mel.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Judah's older sister, Victoria :] I just wanted to say I'm really glad you liked the donation and how cool I think it is that you got to find out so much about it at the leadership summit! hahah that is such a god thing :]

Anonymous said...

Hey Judah's older sister, I loved that you checked out my blog! Yes, the IJM guy was my favorite speaker, and I will carry with me much of what he said, even though my work is not as dramatic as his.