A number of years ago, I decided to ask my kids to do things for others at Christmas instead of presenting me with gifts. This wasn't my own "lightbulb" of an idea, I copied it from my son's elementary school where, back in his day, each class adopted a family in need and the students were asked to buy gifts for them instead of their teachers.
As a teacher, I have received some beautiful, thoughtful and generous gifts, but I have found it IS much better to give than receive. During our first service field trip to the elder day care center in Batavia, the town where I teach, I decided they would be recipients of this year's Christmas benevolence.
So I wrote a letter of explanation to my parents, and I was overwhelmed by their generosity. My students are a blessing to me, as are their families, and so I did what I've been reminded about in church, I took my blessings and blessed others with them.
Funny thing, I feel most blessed! Go figure...
Today we presented the staff and clients at the center with:
Dozens of homemade cards
A Michael's gift card
A Best Buy gift card
Various kitchen utensils
An electric hand mixer
A "crooner" CD (Too fun explaining that term to my kids, Dean Martin was an early crush of mine, and by early I think I fell in love with him when I was 5!)
Arts and crafts supplies
After the kids opened their presents to the clients, we played Bingo--my kids never tire of that, had cookies and visited with the folks there. We sang a couple of Christmas songs altogether, but then we were out of time. We had to walk back to school in the sunshine and snow. We sang ourselves out of the room,
"We Wish You a Merry Christmas."
It was quietly good.

Matthew opens his gift to the center. The center is in an old elementary school, so we used the stage as a counter.

Chris takes on the task of calling Bingo numbers. Note his finesse--boot in the air. Lauren's checking off the numbers he calls.

Lauren's turn to call. She was not shy. And no, we don't always wear football jerseys, but today's "Wacky Wednesday" was Team Shirt Day. Were there any photos of me, you'd see me sporting a Peyton Manning shirt. (My husband's from Indy.)
Mark and his mom, Cindy. She's walked on each trip with us--today's was a gift as she's Florida born and hates the cold (it snowed about 4" last night)! Thanks Cindy!
Anna's job was passing out the prizes, but she'd scoot back to her seat to play, too! This game is cutthroat, and it's not the kids who are most into it!
Harold, Anna, and Kylee's dad. Harold was cutting up with Kylee's dad. Chris called "I 29," and Harold called back, "I wish!" Kylee's dad left wondering what else he could do to help. Don't I have wonderful "parents"?
See, Anna got back to her seat between delivering prizes. Don't you love that sunshine streaming through the windows? Bright sun and 20 degree temps today.
See, Anna got back to her seat between delivering prizes. Don't you love that sunshine streaming through the windows? Bright sun and 20 degree temps today.
Josh passing out cookies. These kids have such loving servants' hearts.


2 comments:
So cute. You have a great group of kids and it looks like they really enjoy themselves too! The Elders seem to have a good time too. Cut throat bingo sounds like fun.
Good work Miss Stewart!
-Renee
If I was in 5th grade at LWE, I would want to be in 5S!! Your students will remember this outing every Christmas for the rest of their lives. Kudos to your "parents" who
chaperone, by walking!
Brenda
Post a Comment