Sunday, December 14, 2008

Now They're SeamanStewartScarle Traditions

Brad teases me that I'm all about trinkets and treasures, and though I rarely place value on "stuff," at Christmas I do get incredibly sentimental. Our tree is decorated sweetly, again I'm no Martha Stewart, and I wanted to share some of my little treasures with you.

I've never understood why some people do "theme" Christmas trees like NASCAR, Elvis, only jewel tones or animal prints. So many of those don't seem Christmasy to me--but to each her own! I limit myself to red, white, and silver with a little gold to keep myself from buying each pretty or cute ornament that catches my eye.

From my days with Marshall Field's, I have some lovely Wedgwood, Gorham, and Lenox ornaments. And last year, Brad and I purchased a good number of other pretty ones as we had our first--large--tree together. Come to think of it, I picked up three more yesterday, and hope to add others over time!

Instead of garland, I have each ornament hanging from a red or white ribbon with a small bow on each. It does the trick...

So, here are some sentimental favorites.



Mac as a Christmas present (his three-year-old Halloween costume) and his first Christmas.


Back in the 60s, Mom was a Martha for her day, and she used to make these satin, ribbon and sequin ornaments. I love their Mom-value, their vintage value, and I like the juxtaposition of old with new. This white one was my favorite as a girl, and behind it I'm wearing Mom's wedding dress as Brad gives me a twirl in 2007. I didn't hang them this way intentionally but noticed when I snapped the picture.




Here's a 2008 Crate and Barrel penguin hanging with another of Mom's. If you look just behind hers, you'll glimpse a 1991 "Mom" ornament. Each time I visited Toys R Us that Christmastime, the few weeks after her death, I'd see it and know she would have liked it yet I couldn't get it for her. I popped in to make an exchange one day after Christmas, and this ornament sat with only one or two others on the broken down display. I bought it, and when I hang it every year I remember her love for this holiday, her love of poinsettias (they edge the porcelain), and her love for us.
Below is one of her pins. I never considered wearing it, but it seemed just right to hang from a ribbon. I like to think this artsy decision was of an Alice influence, that perhaps she's in me still.
It sparkles like a star.

The oldest tradition of this season has taken on new importance to me the last few years. So of course, He, too, is represented. I cry whenever I have to read this verse aloud:
"And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of..."
Isaiah 9:6

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear Ellie,

Thank you for sharing your Christmas memories of your mom.
Someday I vow to have my own tree.
I want to use all my fancy purple,
blue and silver ornaments. Your tree gives me hope! Most of the ornaments on our tree are linked to our travels, sports teams;and crosses.
Brenda
crosses.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I love the Sox, but they are not on my tree!

There's no reason you can't have two trees. My mom did for years.

Anonymous said...

aww, i love your tree el. it looks beautiful. and i love the special meaning behind your ornaments :)