Brad and I got married twice.
He moved to Illinois at the end of March 2007, and since we had bought a home together and were readying my condo to sell, it seemed silly to live apart, but not right for us to live together. So we decided to not wait until our planned July wedding, and we were married in April.
My principal relieved me on Monday afternoon to leave early so we could go get our marriage license. The woman at the Kane County Courthouse was skeptical.
"You live in Indiana," she said glancing at his driver's license and then looking over her bi-focals at Brad,
"and you live in Naperville," she said looking at me with the same appraising eye. "Why do you want to get married here?"
I wanted to tell her we were on the lam, that would have been funny but a lie.
Instead, I said, "I teach in Batavia, and we can't make it to DuPage County before they close."
Ah, that comment alone allowed her to give us the seal of approval.
The next day, my principal relieved me of my teaching duties again (at 3:15), Brad picked me up from school and we went to get hitched. My friend Annemarie was quite upset that no one was accompanying us to take photos. So concerned was she, I half expected her to get out of school early, and to follow us with disposable camera in hand. I swear, I did check the rearview mirror more than once.
No photos are available of our time in the courtroom, so I will tell you Brad cried. It was all short and sweet. Brad drove me back to my car at school, and then we drove (separately) to our new home (in Kendall County mind you) where he carried me over our front door's threshold. I was holding a roll of Peanuts Bounty paper towels my friend Annie B. had given me, and we laughed.
It was still early, so he continued to work on house tasks and I went shopping. We did go out to a romantic dinner that night at Jason's on the Fox.
So today is our first second anniversary.
Since there were no photos of that day, here's Brad's favorite of us--taken before a wedding, not one of ours!
We remain happy together!


6 comments:
Your story is already so full of memories - just imagine when it will be your twenty first-twenty second anniversary (did I get that right? - I am confused!)
I have a feeling that you and Brad will end up like Jim and me. My daughter Cathie told us the other day that her college friends ask "How are the High School sweethearts?" Now, Jim and I never were sweethearts in H.S., nor are we the demonstrative type (his parents never saw us kiss until our wedding day), but it is apparent to all that we are still crazy in love and meant to be together for all time. We are still each other's best friend and all of the ways we love each other are apparent in the little things we do for each other daily. I hope you always have this kind of love - there is none better.
Pam C.
what a great story! you two look so in love and so great together.
Pam, you and Jim ARE adorable together! :) He's a cutie pie and it's true, he thinks you hung the moon.
Someday Brad and I will have a first 21st and a second 21st...and so on. We figure celebrating two a year is important since we got married when so old!
;)
I think it is super fun that you have two anniversaries! Did I tell you that one of my paralegal interns at work met her hubby in the same way you two met? She moved from Minnesota, and other than missing her state, she is thrilled that she met her man. She's been happily married for four years now! It is an inspiration to see people happily married. I think a lot of people my age new lots of people who stayed married but the happy part had long departed. So I love the inspiration that a good couple provides!
I giggled in class when I read this... what a great story :)
That's great, you never giggled when you had me day in and day out. I think you miss me!
Post a Comment