Saturday, April 18, 2009

Feeding His Starving Children





































Yesterday, two of our fifth grade classes went on a long-awaited field trip to Feed My Starving Children. FMSC is an organization I learned of through church, and Mac and I went last summer. Once the school year resumed, I brought the idea for an FMSC field trip to my team and principal who gave it a resounding yes.
















This wonderful organization packs food to be sent to the poorest parts of our world. In less than two hours, our group helped pack enough meals to feed 51 children for one year.
We had over 20 LWS parent volunteers who worked the warehouse and at each cell. We couldn't have done it without each and every one of them. How blessed my students are to have such involved moms and dads.















What an awesome (and I try to reserve that adjective for God stuff) opportunity for us all!
How it works:
We manned six cells, two or three kids stood at each end measuring and scooping chicken, veggies, soy, and rice.


See the scoop? That's the chicken powder scoop. Charity is holding a bag under the funnel.


Jamie and Emma are scooping, Tiah and Charity are holding the bags, weighing the food, and sending it to the sealer (a parent, not pictured, using a heat sealer machine.)


Luke is counting out filled meal bags and then loading them into a box. He loved this job!


Here's our pallet of food. I think we started another pallet too. After cleaning up, and before leaving, we prayed (some kids opted out) over it. Jazmine said the prayer, and many of us laid our hands on the boxes or each others' shoulders.

Say this prayer now if you would...

"God, may this food travel safely to reach and sustain hungry children."

After the prayer, we went back to the orientation room where we got to taste the food--very much like Rice-a-Roni, and say a video featuring photos of children it has helped save. My kids gasped, and moms cried.

I took dozens of photos, but Rex is giving me fits today. It's good fortune that I could post these few...I couldn't wait to share them with you!

9 comments:

Pam C. said...

I am always in awe of how people from all walks of life draw together when doing God's work. I am humbled because I do not do nearly enough to model this with my students, friends and families. You are giving those children the opportunity to see beyond themselves, to lose a bit of that egocentricity that most children still have (and many adults) and participate in true fellowship with others. Thank you for that.
Pam C.

mah-meeee said...

That is such a great project for the kids. They really get to learn and appreciate what they have and learn how to help others in need.

Thank you for helping the children.

Anonymous said...

The impact from this field trip will stick with your students a lifetime. It was also a conversation springboard for all the parent chaperones as well.
Well done, good and faithful servant.

Brenda

Mama said...

Super cool! Although, I have to say I am surprised it was okay to pray over the packages or pray at all during any kind of school event. Whereas I am a huge proponent of prayer, I'm also a huge proponent of separation of church and state. I learn something new every day : ) I always trick or treated for UNICEF when growing up, which was done the night before beggar's night; and I still remember how amazed I was by what a very small quantity of money could do for a child in some impoverished part of the world in the realm of food and medicine. It is the best to think of someone in need that you can help!

Where did you go to participate in this?

Ellen aka Ellie said...

The kids are given a choice of whether or not they want to pray. It's handled very well. Those who don't go into the lovely waiting area, and those who do stand around the boxes. The workers asked for a volunteer to pray, and I did not (as teacher) lead them in prayer.

The kids have that right, I do not.

The "My" in Feed My Starving Children stands for Jesus. We all knew that going in.

The food goes to non-Christian countries but is distributed by Christian organizations.

When I first wondered if we could do this, one friend pointed out we go to CYT performances almost annually (Christian Youth Theater).

FMSC is housed in Aurora, a 22 minute drive from good ol' LWS.

We watched the Obama swearing in and (some of us) prayed right along with Pastor Warren and others...it's a line that's sometimes hard to see, so how do we know when we cross it?

Laura said...

I love these pictures and this project.
Thank you for your great work with kids.

Mama said...

I get it now : ) I was always shocked when I was working at school that when the "winter" concert was held the kids could sing a Hanukah song, a Kwanza song, and then "Frosty the Snowman" or something along that line instead of "Silent Night" or some other Christian song. It always struck me as incredibly odd. I always told M & E that I thought your religious education was part of your all-around education and how could you possibly know what you were for or against if you didn't have some education about it? Growing up in the Presbyterian and Episcopalian denominations, I remember studying the religions of the world and always being fascinated to learn how they were similar and different than Christianity. Even though I've forgotten a lot of the details outside of Judaism (because I have Jewish friends) the part I loved the most about Christianity was that you didn't "earn" your way. It was by God's grace that were showered with His/Her love and blessings. Not that you shouldn't try to be a good person - you follow me, I know.

They are incredibly fortunate to have you lead them in their growing!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I think so many non-Christians are offended by the idea of not having to "earn" it and the idea of Forgiveness.

Grace has gone from being what I said rapidly before dinner each night as a kid to the state I'm living in. It's a gift I gladly accept,even though I'm not worthy of it! Never could be.

Kayla said...

What a FANTASTIC project.... I looked it up the other day when your Facebook status talked about it. Their organization seemed so well organized and dedicated. I'm positive the kids enjoyed it and will keep the experience close to their heart for quite some time :)