
If you know a Louise White School student, keep this to yourself for a while...
Two weeks ago, I learned that after 11 years in 5th grade I'm moving to 4th grade next year. Though I requested this change, I have mixed emotions about it, but most of them are positive tinged with absolute delight. It is time for a change. My peers have said many encouraging things about this move, and I find I am looking forward to it.
Looking back on my own elementary school experience, I remember not particularly enjoying fifth grade as much as fourth for a number of reasons.
So this week's question of the week:
What was your favorite year in school?


14 comments:
BTW--
I wasn't a fan of Kindergarten; first grade was hard for me because I went to a strict Catholic school--but I did win the advent wreath at bingo. I remember being so excited to bring it home!
Second grade was Mrs. Regas--she was my absolute favorite teacher and it was the best year!
Third grade I hardly remember.
We moved before fourth, a new school, and I had a Danish teacher for that year. His accent was so thick, spelling ests were fun. My mom was room mom and always brought my baby sister.
Fifth grade was a drag, but to be fair Mrs. Bird had 34 of us (!) and she was headed for divorce. Why? She was involved with her much younger student teacher whom she wound up marrying!
So, to make a long comment short: Second grade!
My favorite year was 5th grade but I think 4th graders are very sweet.
In general, I loved elementary school.
That's great Ellen. Congrats!
My favorite grade was 4th grade. I had the best teacher ever. Ms. Grey. Wonder what she's up to now?
Google her!
And, Miss Cooke, it's great on so many levels! I will tell you about it when we have lunch this summer. (Summersummersummer!!!!)
Fourth Grade. Sister Mary Josita!
Fifth was my favorite - Mrs. Forbes. I had a bunch of not-so-nice teachers in elementary school. She read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" aloud to us, and I was mesmorized. She was also very friendly and caring - a true rarity in my elementary school. Junior high was a ton more fun for me that elementary school. I had a scary teacher in fourth - Miss Wendell; she literally terrorized me because she was always so grumpy, stern, and looking back on it, seemed miserable. The younger grades I hardly remember at all except that I was excited to learn to read with Dick and Jane : ) There's a picture, huh?!
I'm off to study for my final tomorrow night! Think a good thought for me.
Well, fourth was winning there for a while! I think the biggest adjustment is going to be in the first weeks. They come in third graders and I will have "just left" end of year fifth graders. I don't know if that makes sense or not...
They'll be much younger. This much I know!
I loved every year of elementary school, except for fourth...but don't worry Ellen. I did like fourth because of the state projects; I did not like fourth because of my weirdo creepy teacher. My ultimate favorite was third grade. My teacher, Miss Schwenk, called our mobile classroom "The Cove." She played her guitar for us daily. Another favorite was first grade with Miss Loversky. She pulled out loose teeth and let me stay in during recess to work on special projects. Oh, I love school.
Dear Ellie,
My elementary school in Wisconsin went to 6th grade. 6th grade was my favorite year. I had my first male teacher, Mr. Collins. It was the first time we were separated
by ability for certain subjects.
It was the first time I felt book
smart. He also directed a play.
He gave everyone a ride home who needed one so that transportation
wouldn't stop anyone from being in the play. He later left teaching for politics. I wonder where he is?
Brenda
You had a teacher that would pull out your teeth? Eeek!
Brenda, google him! Do you know his first name?
Monika will be entering 4th grade in the fall...I'll keep track of her curriculum, and yours, to see where they blend, or not. This could be interesting~two different districts, same state, same grade level...I guess we'll see where the differences, if any, lie. :-)
I REALLY enjoyed first grade. In fact that was when I decided I wanted to be a teacher. Miss Jenkins was my hero! I had great years at LWS, but first grade is a stand-out year. I also enjoyed 8th grade because of Ms. Karstens at RMS (BMS). I learned so much from her that I still utilize today.
Megan
Awww...
Kindergarten was a favorite. Finally...I got to go to school, too! And ride the bus!
I also liked freshman year at NNHS. It was the first year the school opened and the locker rooms actually smelled okay. We had the whole school to ourselves--no intimidating upper classmen.
Thanks for the memories, El.
Post a Comment