Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dear Diary, or a quick catch-up

(Blogger is giving me fits!)

















A few random events from Sunday last to Sunday tomorrow. Add to that, Blogger won't let me move photos after I've uploaded them, so see if you can see which
photo(s) from above go with which text below!

Sunday--
Our church has something like 8 campuses throughout Chicagoland, and our campus meets in a HS aud. This week we learned the school district is kicking us out for the summer months while they do some renovations. Where will we meet all summer? Congregation Beth Shalom! How is that for grace across the faiths? I'm excited to teach next month's baptism class in a synagogue.

Tuesday--
We finally started reading aloud The Mysterious Benedict Society. It grabbed the kids from the start, but it has over 450 pages, and we don't have that many days of school left. So, whenever we can, we squeeze in some read-aloud. We have gotten though 100 good pages so far! We can make it...

Wednesday--
My student Chris's grandma came in to share an antiquity with the class, a dinosaur egg. It's from China, tens of millions years old, and it weighs about five pounds. Since I'd never had such a thing on my desk before, I thought a picture was a good idea! And, no, the phone isn't there for some weird ancient to modern artsy juxtaposition statement, it's meant to show scale!

Thursday--
Not only does the world laugh in flowers, our lunchroom did too when $2500.00 dollars of annuals were delivered to our school. Student council helped distribute them, and we raised over $600 for our at-risk reading program. My best girlfriends, Gail and Betsy, and my husband came to help. We're thinking it's going to be an annual, no pun-intended, event!

All week--
This was teacher appreciation. Neck massages were offered, a breakfast cart came classroom to classroom (on a morning my pants were so tight, I had to make a meager choice from the bounty of treats), pizza was purchased for Friday's lunch, and some of my students wrote me these notes. They were a delight to read, and they're headed for a keepsake container I keep for such things. (I have 24 students, so obviously only a third opted to do this, but I was tickled by the few who did, especially surprised by a couple of them!)

Tomorrow, Sunday--
Mother's Day. I woke up fiercely missing my mom yesterday. That was out of the blue. So here's a picture of one of her owls and a snap of a snap of her and my dad holding Mac when he was about 14 months old.
I love you Mom. I will see you again, until then, I will miss you.

2 comments:

Mama said...

You know I'm extremely curious where a person comes up with a fossil dinosaur egg! I understand it was from China, but did she unearth it? Wild and amazing!

Notes from students are the fantastic! That you got some surprise ones is even more fun!

We're getting more and more confirmed H1N1 cases in schools and all over the place. I'm beginning to wonder if the schools will make it through the AP exams and finals all right.

Mitch & I went to Bauder's for a malt and sandwich; he's now crashed in his chair, and I need to fire up to study again. I skyped with Elle this morning, so that was fun on Mother's Day. Life is good for her these last few weeks and months.

A regular smorgasbord of a blog this time - fun!

Happy, happy spring!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

She was given the gift on a trip to China. She has the certificate of authenticity. She says there are thousands of them around the world.

Yes, I loved the notes.

And yep, a buffet of my week. The last time I think I did that was when I returned from Iowa!