So yesterday, I was driving to work when I found myself stopped behind a Dodge Ram pick-up truck whose license plate read, "IHATEGM."
It was a long red light, and I found myself thinking there must be a story there. Vanity plates cost more than random plates (so guess which type I have) to renew each year, and I was thinking this guy must really dislike GM in order to ante up extra bucks every 12 months.
Hating requires a ridiculous amount of emotion, and I just don't do it. Life is too good and too short to emote in the extreme negative.
So, I tend to use the word hate for things that irritate me. I can't think of anything I really hate, but I thought I'd make a list of things I "hate," just for fun.
I don't think any of them could be condensed to fit on a pithy license plate!
I hate...
1. coconut
2. cooked fruit (technically "baked" as in pies and such)--can't stand the mush factor
3. knee-jerk apologies--you know, "Say you're sorry..."
4. seafood (but I'm learning how to make sushi--I'm so hip!)
5. "Respect," by Aretha Franklin. I could live happily and never hear that song again
6. people who throw things in the trash when they could be recycled-- okay, I don't hate the people, just the behavior
7. when a good song comes on the radio just as I'm pulling into the parking lot at work
8. four-way stop signs during rush hour
9. DAYS spent eating like a healthy little bird and then getting on the scale to find I've GAINED weight!
10. hypocrisy, especially when I'm the one who is guilty of it
11. the Mommy-mill
12. drivers who don't merge as soon as they're told and then cause a horrible bottleneck--okay, again, I don't hate them but I am irritated by their bad manners
13. people who hold negative opinions of me when they don't take the time to get to know me--if you really know me, and you decide you don't like me, I'm cool with that!
13+ I have to say it...my thighs!
Isn't life GREAT when this is all that I "hate"?


6 comments:
14. The spacing on blogger.
Dear Ellie,
I like the word irritate better than hate too. The one thing that
irritates me right now, is something you will roll your eyes at while you read this:
Brett Favre trying to "untretire"
again and go to a conference rival,
Minnesota Vikings.
This is exasperated by the fact
that I am married to a Minnesota
Vikings fan.
Retire already. Find something else to go to-coaching or commentating instead of trying
to relive your glory years.
Thank you letting me vent.
Brenda the Cheesehead.
I am positive I would be tickled to death if Mr. Favre joined the Vikings! Tee hee... If I retired and then came back, I'd be welcomed (if someone thought I had value as a teacher, it should be the same for him.)
We've talked about this though...
:)
I "hate" the Packers! Again, not really.
:)
I'm wondering what a mommy mill is. I'm shocked you don't like Aretha's Respect. Do you remember my Aretha kitty that I had for 13 years before her disappearance on Church Street? Of course, I love any and all of her music or I wouldn't be naming pets after her, huh?! I even liked her wild hat at the inauguration this year. Macaroni & cheese and sweet potatoes would be my yukky foods - always have been.
Mara,
I get that "Respect" is an iconic song, but it's overdone. So I'm done with it!
The Mommy mill is akin to the rumor mill--lots of damage is done to teachers' reputations by moms who take the word of their little ones without investigating and then run with it to other moms. Used for good, it could change the world, instead it's used for bad and it damages people.
That is truly disgusting! I remember if M or E got a teacher they'd heard 'bad' things about and they were bummed, I'd say, You don't really know that teacher. She may have heard things about you too (that always stopped them dead in their track). I expect your teacher to give you a chance and get to know you, and I expect you to do the same thing for your teacher. I would harp on not making judgments until they actually got in the class and got to know their teacher. I think it helped quite a bit for them to try to think of this another way; and seriously, whatever some other child has to say about a teacher really doesn't equate to what your child will think. That is pretty catty and low of a supposed grown woman to engage in! I guess being grown doesn't always equate to being grown up or thoughtful. Thanks for the enlightenment! Fun class photo!
Post a Comment