Though trying to be more green, I have to admit, I am a total geek for note cards.
I bought these recently at Home Goods (another store I should stay clear of 'cause their merchandise is just too fun to browse through, wonder at, and purchase.) I also bought a box of cards printed with red and white cherries to use at school. Our colors are red and white, so they're perfect!
See? Geek.
I've read that etiquette allows if someone gives you a gift and you say thank you directly to that person, you don't have to write a thank you.
I think that's weird.
So I don't follow that guideline (and truth be told, it is not how I was raised).
But, then again, I love writing thank you notes.
Why?
One, stationery is just too pretty not to share.
Two, it's just a nice thing to do.
Three, when I get a gift of any kind, I am so blown away that someone cared enough to think of me and select a gift, I feel compelled to thank them with written words.
Four, I even write thank yous when people take me out to dinner or make me a meal.
My flaw, my fault, something I'm working on?
I like getting thanks. Actually, I crave thank yous.
This is a huge crack in my character.
When I give a gift, I should gift from the heart, not to be thanked. And I do give from the heart. I never give a should gift, I give a want to gift. But I struggle mightily with the need to receive a thank you.
I do.
In 2008, Brad and I went to a friend's wedding, we sent a gift, and no thank you ever came. Part of me worries that the gift never arrived (though I did track it on-line, and it did say "delivered", but we had an Old Navy package that was "delivered" last winter, and I never received it). I have to be honest, the bigger part of me is cranky that I didn't get thanked.
I am so not proud of that attitude.
I spent almost 90 minutes selecting a baby gift recently
(oh my gosh, I hemmed and hawed over that one, I walked the entire store twice, picked things up, put them down, exchanged sizes, pondered how to wrap it, read every baby book on the shelves, wondered would an outfit be better, a book?),
and I got a one line thank you email for that.
I wondered if the people who were able to make it to the baby shower got handwritten notes.
So do people just expect gifts? Is that what it is?
Or...
Am I a thank you prude?
I've been to showers where the mother of the bride or new mommy-to-be hands out envelopes and asks the guests to address their own thank yous. That blows me away in a whole different way!
So as someone who is closer to 50 than 40, I wonder if I'm just old-fashioned. But then I think of my friends Art and Jeanette who have sent me, over the years, dear little notes that have expressed thanks for gifts and have included thanks for friendship. In fact, Jeanette just handed me such a note in church earlier today.
So it's not just me being an old fuddy-duddy (unless they are young fuddy-duddies), or is it?
My question, now that I've bared an ugly bit of my soul, is:
Do you like/expect thank you notes too?
Now, perhaps bending my own rules...
My friend Pam, a firm believer in thank you notes herself, left this in my mailbox on the first day of classes last week. What a delight to see a treat in my box on a crazy day. Such a crazy day, that I have yet to thank her.
So...
Pam, who regularly reads my blog, how many etiquette rules am I breaking now by posting a bloggy thank you?
This chocolate was a sweet find because it's funny (funny chocolate!), but mostly because it's from YOU!
I love you, my friend. Now everyone knows it.
Thank you, oh and a card is in the mail, too.


7 comments:
Dear Ellie,
Thank you for posting about the importance of saying thank you with a written note.
I totally believe in thank you notes . . . and I love writing them because it gives me the chance to use pretty stationery (I am a stationery/notecard/pretty paper junkie).
Unfortunately, the thank you cards going out totally outnumbers those coming in.
But, I have learned not to let it bother me . . . I've taught myself to think that me not expecting a thank you note is part of the gift itself.
And I bet you give great, thoughtful gifts.
Thank you again for a thoughtful post.
Sincerely,
Bia
I am always blown away by other people who write thank yous as quickly as they write emails. I certainly am not that good, but I think there is something to be said about those thank you's.
I think this birthday has been an eye opener for me - it has made me realize how many friends that God has put in my life, and how much they do for me. God knows that I need people in my life that love me the way that my friends do, and I think that I have been feeling like there is a need for thanks. I admit that I am not as good as others when it comes to writing thank you notes, but I am trying to get better. :) I remembered that you wanted to HEAR people say "thank you", so I figured it was appropriate :) Love you and Bradford! :D
We still have your ladybug thank you by our TV, and the words in the card you gave us today moved us--especially Brad.
We're honored that you include us with your friends, and we really do feel like a second set of parents to you.
Hugs a plenty--
Ellen
definitely not a thank you prude. i love receiving thank you cards and love giving them, when i remember them. (i am totally forgetful, esp after the kids, what happened?)well, that's why i always send an email ... just in case if i forget.
anyhow, i also have those experiences when i gifted for weddings or birthdays and never got a thank you... not even an email (at least i would know it arrived.) i've always wondered what happened... do they not like my gift (which can't be for weddings since they were registered items... but anyhoo.)
great post!
I love this post! You are not breaking the rules, my friend! I do have to admit though, that I am in a bit of a quandary. Last week you gave me a bag of delicious chocolates and a card as a thank you for the thank you cards I gave you. Do I send a thank you for the thank you? (LOL) Please advise - oh what the heck - I have the perfect thank you card for you!
Pam
Well, people….thank you notes require being a good speller and visual organizational giftedness to get the sentence on the page without running out of room. I’m even challenged to write the address correctly. Shy…. I’ve wasted more than one envelop trying to get a birthday card into the mail which reminds me I have two to send today.
I guess I give genuinely without the intent of getting a thank you note. I do admit that I read each thank you note and appreciate their thoughtfulness when them come, but I don’t expect them.
On the other hand, I do know when it is proper to send back a thank you note and usually have to go get someone to help me write it. Most of the time I am wise enough to do that feat.
This writing thing is not one of my gifts. I wasn’t in that line when they passed out the writing, grammar, and spelling gifts. And I’ve embarrassed myself more than once trying to do the simplest of writing a heartfelt message back to someone important to me. Good thing they are gracious. Well, most of them.
Dear Anonymous,
You do send thank you notes, and they are beautiful. I know, I have received them from you. Those who love you forgive your struggles with spelling and focus on the words and meaning you are sharing. You do a blessed job at showing appreciation.
And now, for the rest of your life, you have a fairly patient spouse who is willing to help you spell and edit. Your eloquence is clear when you share from the heart, and so spelling matters not.
Post a Comment