Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In honor of Fall Into Reading



"I cannot live without books. "

Thomas Jefferson



"Reading is the equivalent of breathing chocolate air."
Nancie Atwell


"So many books, so little time."


And if you give your child's teacher a(nother) mug, you now see what may have become of it!





***An aside, if you are a book buyer, and you click on my friend Laura's blog, you can do your part to help under-resourced folks get their hands on books.***

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley

Sarah via facebook

Jessica R. said...

"A house without books is like a room without windows."
And, wait, mugs aren't meant to hold pens?

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Love the wise words!

I don't drink coffee, and rarely tea. So I only reserve one mug for beverages and the others are all pen holders!

Pam C. said...

Okay, since I am teaching Language Arts in the Elementary School, I had to link writing and reading together. This is a quote from Lucy Calkins who writes "The reason that many of us care so much about the teaching of reading and writing is, that we too, have found that when we give the children of the world the words they need, we are giving them life and growth and refreshment."

lisa :) said...

Even though I'm not a big fan of overly long books, I love the quote:

"You can’t get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." – C.S. Lewis

And I have to ask Ellen, have you read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? It's been popular in educational circles recently. It was one of my favorite reads of 2007 and it's got a heavy theme about the power of words/reading/writing - I know you weren't looking for more rec's right now, but think you'd like it!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I think a true reader has a list that will never end, so Lisa, I'll add this. But it does sound like one of your intellectual books, and Honey, you know that's not me!