On Monday, my friend Betsy gave me a spring Hyacinthus plant. It looked about ready to bloom. Though I hope to live greener each day, the least green thing about me is my thumb. So I was concerned I would do something to kill the thing. I watered it, placed it on the round table that butts up to my desk and hoped it would bloom in spite of my lack of skill. (Betsy told me I couldn't kill it; her thumbs are the greenest I know.)
After school on Wednesday, I was working with my third grade tutoring group. The scent of the room changed so much I figured one of them had gotten into Grandma's perfume. They left, and the scent grew stronger. I realized the plant was blooming, springing really, it opened so fast.
On Thursday, when I got to school, the scent in my room was overpowering. I had to move the flowering plant all the way across the room because my eyes were watered as soon as I crossed the threshold. I watched the kids all morning to see if it elicited any allergic reactions. I told Betsy she might have to take it from me. We made it through the day.
On Friday, I could smell it before I opened my door. But it was a joy to see the second bloom opening. It was only on Friday that the kids noticed the room smelled differently. And they liked it, so we kept the plant.
A scent of spring in February, not matter how pervasive, is hard to let go of!
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Smells, um, lovely...
Somewhat organized...
a wee bit o' greening,
Not Martha Stewart,
simple pleasures,
students
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
lovely photos and such a gift to get a waft of spring in the dead of winter.
what a thoughtful gift!!
only six more weeks, right?
I just love the little baby hyacinth - the are the color of grapes and have an incredible smell, as well!
I love these pictures!
Aren't they sort of a tease though? For spring? :)
Post a Comment