Thursday, May 6, 2010

"It would be heavenly"

     When I first found myself being called back to God a little more than five years ago, I didn't know what to do.  I had been anti-church for so long, I was reticent to try one out.  I was afraid to tell my friends because I knew they'd respond by wanting to take me to church.  I was painfully worried I would get my hands on a Bible and not understand a word of it.  So I went to a Christian bookstore and bought a CD of Christian hits.  I had no idea what I was buying, and then to force myself to listen to it I would pop it in my portable CD player and start my nightly three mile walk.  I had to listen to it then, no turning back.  (I was a little obsessive about my walking at that time.)
     One of the songs on that CD is featured on the play list below.  "Open Skies" was such a joyous and welcoming song, I remember liking it but not really getting it.  Wanting to get it, and knowing in time--quite soon really--I would.  The Holy Spirit at work in me I suppose.
     Last week, while driving to work, "Open Skies" came on WBLG.  I was pleased, that song is tenderly important to me.  Suddenly though, the airwaves were filled with static and other stations bleeding into the song.  Normally I couldn't stand that interference, I'd start button pushing immediately.  But I needed to hear the song, I needed to mentally push every bleeding-in thing away and hear that song.  "Praise Him under open skies, everything breathing praising God, in the company of all who love the King."
     I kept the song on.  When it was over, I felt renewed.  And I realized I had made a better effort at pushing interference out of the way during that one song than I do during daily life.  I realized I need to push the things of life away to see Him and be with Him more.  It may take focus and work on my part, but it can be done.  He is always right there.


2 comments:

mahmeeee said...

very well written and again very inspiring for me.

lisa :) said...

Love the analogy of pushing through interference. I once had a journal that I titled "Operation Satellite" because I wanted to see my prayer life as a satellite dish and be more about receiving messages than about my own noise production. Cheesy, I know, but it worked as an analogy for the discipline I was attempting. :)