Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Party...

     This past Sunday, Brad and I hosted a graduation party for Mac.  You'll remember, he graduated from Northern Illinois University in May and is headed to Louisiana State University in about one month.  We opted to wait until July 11th to hold the party because we thought most other grad parties would have passed and people would have fewer conflicts.  About fifty people came, stayed and went throughout the day.
     Some reflections about the party...
  • We had plenty of food and now have plenty of delicious leftovers.
  • We bought way too much soda pop!
  • Brad was a party workhorse!  I can't believe what a great help he was. From visiting the party store with me, to cutting fruit for over an hour the night before, to setting up the drinks the day of, to cleaning  up...and he still had fun!
  • Mac's friends were so polite and pleasant, it was a joy to have them here.
  • I started at least 100 conversations I never got to finish.
  • I didn't have the opportunity to take enough pictures.
  • The World Cup is like the Superbowl to some people. It was a delight to watch them watch.
  • I spilled a lot.  I don't know why, but my inner klutz showed herself mightily that day!
  • Mac received many generous gifts.  We were blown away by the thoughtfulness expressed by our loved ones.
  • It was pretty funny when "the cops" showed up.  Actually, it was my cousin, yes a cop, on a break.  In other words, an invited guest in uniform.
  • Rain can dampen a game of bags, but hanging out in the garage is still fun (for those under 30)!
  • Purple and yellow are lovely for such a party, but I don't think I'm ever going to use up all the purple and yellow cocktail napkins...
  • I was so touched by all the people who chose to spend their Sunday with us.
  • My blog friend, you know her as "PureJoy," came all the way from TN (via a family visit to WI) to meet us.  My first blogger face-to-face friend meeting.  Can I have a, "Yee ha!"
  • It must have been a good party 'cause both Mac's dad and my brother sent me Emails thanking me for including them (as if I would ever exclude them!)
  • My treadmill is now screaming my name--listen, do you hear it?--due to all the fudge, watermelon, lemon bars, pralines, sandwiches, pesto pasta salad, soda pop, potato salad, and guac I've ingested in the past 48 hours.
  • When he earns his master's, we'll celebrate with a simple dinner out.
  •  The next party is on Mac's (yet to be determined) future in-laws!  (Say Yes to the Tux, grooms rock!)  And there's no rush... 
  •  
    (Photo notes:  did you know balloons pop when they rub against stone?, bag playing with Mac and friends, flowers a gift from Kimberly, Brad with "Art" and Jon, candies were in a vase for a purple and yellow centerpiece...)

3 comments:

Pam C said...

Graduation parties are a blast! In my family we celebrate all major events at our favorite Mexican restaurant in town. The owners have seen our family grow up!

purejoy said...

it was great fun (with the exception of the monsoon in which i drove back to milwaukee) and my first IRL encounter with an OL friend. how funny to become friends across the miles and then get a chance to meet. i enjoyed being included in mac's special day!

Sarah Lynn said...

I'm glad that I got to be there even though my day wasn't quite as I planned it. And meeting Kimberly was a huge plus :)

Oh, and remind me next time you see me - I still have Mac's card that took out of my car that I emptied before I came!